New York City FC Signs Academy Product Tayvon Gray Who Becomes First Bronx Native to Sign with NYCFC
NEW YORK, N.Y. - New York City FC today announced that Homegrown defender Tayvon Gray has signed his first professional contract with the Club becoming the first Bronx native to sign with NYCFC.
Gray said: "I'm very excited to sign with New York City FC. I'm a Bronx kid and this is my hometown team, so to start my professional career in New York City is a dream come true.
"When I first heard about NYCFC, the team was very new, but once I saw what the Club was all about, I definitely wanted to play for them. I'll be proud to represent my team in the Bronx. My family is still here, so it will be very exciting to have them at games.
"There are too many people to thank. I'd like to thank God, my family for the support and love to help me get to this point, and everyone in the Academy staff. I've learned from some incredible coaches and played with some great teammates over the years and I wouldn't have been able to get here without them."
The 17-year-old and U.S. youth international is NYCFC's fourth player to graduate from the Academy ranks, joining James Sands, Joe Scally and Justin Haak.
NYCFC Sporting Director David Lee said: "Tayvon's been in our Academy for the past few years and has really developed over the last 18 months and we couldn't be more excited for him to join our First Team and be with us for the future.
"Signing the contract is the first step for him to continue his development. He has a lot of potential and can play a number of positions-we've seen him play as a center back, a right back and in holding midfield-so we want to support his development and help him to maximize his potential.
"We've seen him as a future Homegrown player for a while and we're really delighted to complete the signing."
Gray has been a centerpiece of the NYCFC Academy since joining the Club in 2017 with the U-17s. In 2019, he anchored the backline on the U-19 team who became the first Club to win back-to-back U-19 U.S. Development Academy National Championships.
NYCFC Academy Director Sam Pugsley said: "Tayvon's pathway to professional soccer is a great success story. He started in the talent centers that we run and after performing well, he came into the Academy, and coming from t he Bronx, it's extra special.
"Over the years, with Rodrigo Marion and Matt Pilkington's coaching, guidance and leadership on the field day-to-day, he really matured and got to the point he's at today.
"Tayvon has been an integral part of what we've built here and the success we've had on the field. He's a great person and you see his joy when he's on the field and how much he enjoys playing soccer."
Gray was one of five Academy players to join the Club's 2019 preseason in Abu Dhabi and continued to train with the First Team regularly throughout the season.
Recently, Gray started two matches for the United States U-17 National Team at the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil.
Lee said: "Tayvon had interest from clubs abroad and has done very well with the U.S. National Team, so it's a testament to the work the Academy has done, and everyone at the Club, that Tayvon sees this as the right step for his career."
Gray will join the First Team full-time when the Club opens preseason on January 11.
The defender said: "Since I began with the Academy, my goal was to one day make it to the First Team. I've been able to train and go on preseason with them before, but to now sign a professional contract is an amazing feeling. I'm ready to work as hard as I can to help this team achieve what we all want, to win MLS Cup."
Transaction: New York City FC signs Academy Product Tayvon Gray who becomes first Bronx native to sign with NYCFC.
Name: Tayvon Gray
Weight: 163 lbs
Hometown: Bronx, NY
Citizenship: United States
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 26, 2019
- FC Dallas Acquires Philadelphia Union Winger Fafa Picault - FC Dallas
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $375,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Dallas - Philadelphia Union
- Jordan Morris Nominated for 2019 U.S. Soccer Male Athlete of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF Selects Mike Ambrose in Stage One of 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF, Nashville SC, Sporting KC, and New York Red Bulls Acquire Players in Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Process - MLS
- New York Red Bulls Select Kendall McIntosh in 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville SC Trades for 2nd Overall Pick in the 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft Stage 1 to Select Eric Miller - Nashville SC
- Sporting Acquires Richard Sanchez in Re-Entry Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Matt Hedges Signs New Contract with FC Dallas - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2022 MLS SuperDraft Second Round Selection - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes, Verizon to Offer Fans Enhanced Matchday Experience - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires First Round Draft Pick from Seattle Sounders FC - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Acquires Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland from Chicago Fire - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York City FC Signs Academy Product Tayvon Gray Who Becomes First Bronx Native to Sign with NYCFC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- New York City FC Acquires Defender Malte Amundsen from Danish Club Vejle BK
- New York City FC Acquires Up to $600,000 General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati for Ronald Matarrita
- New York City FCÂ AcquiresÂ Up to $1.25M in General Allocation MoneyÂ from Austin FC ForÂ Alex Ring
- New York City FC Announces Travel Plans for the Resumption of 2020 CONCACAF Champions League
- New York City FC Announces Roster Moves for 2021