Chicago Fire FC Acquires First Round Draft Pick from Seattle Sounders FC
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that it has acquired a natural first round pick (26th overall) in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft from Seattle Sounders FC. In exchange, the Fire traded the rights to goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland and a 2020 second round pick (35th overall) to Seattle. The Fire previously acquired the 35th overall pick from the Montreal Impact on Aug. 7.
Cleveland, 25, was originally selected by the Fire with the 26th overall pick in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft. Across the last three seasons, Cleveland made five appearances (five starts) in MLS play. Additionally, the goalkeeper made 22 USL League One appearances (22 starts) while on loan with Lansing Ignite FC in 2019. Cleveland's 2020 contract option had been declined by Chicago on Nov. 21.
The Fire will return to Soldier Field for the 2020 Major League Soccer season. Fans can secure a seat for the Club's 2020 MLS Home Opener on March 21 against Atlanta United FC, or any game of the regular season, with a refundable $20 ticket deposit. Season tickets are now on sale for as little as $25 per match. More information is available at www.chicagofirefc.com/tickets.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC acquires a first round pick (26th overall) in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft from Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for the rights to goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland and a 2020 second round pick (35th overall) on Nov. 26, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 26, 2019
- FC Dallas Acquires Philadelphia Union Winger Fafa Picault - FC Dallas
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $375,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Dallas - Philadelphia Union
- Jordan Morris Nominated for 2019 U.S. Soccer Male Athlete of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF Selects Mike Ambrose in Stage One of 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF, Nashville SC, Sporting KC, and New York Red Bulls Acquire Players in Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Process - MLS
- New York Red Bulls Select Kendall McIntosh in 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville SC Trades for 2nd Overall Pick in the 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft Stage 1 to Select Eric Miller - Nashville SC
- Sporting Acquires Richard Sanchez in Re-Entry Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Matt Hedges Signs New Contract with FC Dallas - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2022 MLS SuperDraft Second Round Selection - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes, Verizon to Offer Fans Enhanced Matchday Experience - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires First Round Draft Pick from Seattle Sounders FC - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Acquires Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland from Chicago Fire - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York City FC Signs Academy Product Tayvon Gray Who Becomes First Bronx Native to Sign with NYCFC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 17-Year-Old Colombian Forward Jhon Jader Duran
- Chicago Fire FC to Develop New Visual Identity, Including New Primary Crest
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Mauricio Pineda to Multi-Year Contract Extension
- Chicago Fire FC Trades Midfielder Brandt Bronico to Charlotte FC