Indy Re-Signs Forward Spencer Watson
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indy Fuel announced Thursday that they have re-signed forward Spencer Watson for the 2022-23 season, making him the longest-tenured active member of the team.
Watson, 26, returns to the Circle City for his fourth complete season with the Fuel. The London, Ontario native has skated in 168 games for the Indy Fuel between the 2018-19 and 2021-22 seasons (2019-20 was Watson's first complete season with the team) tallying 141 total points (76 goals, 65 assists) and only 31 penalty minutes.
Watson is an offensive powerhouse that holds a number of Indy Fuel franchise records and is on track to complete even more.
Watson's current Fuel franchise records:
Most goals in a season: 31
2019-20 and 2021-22 seasons
Most power play goals in a season: 11
Most power play points in a season: 24
Longest scoring streak: 15 games
Nov. 16-Dec. 20, 2019
Most shots in a game: 12
Dec. 19, 2019 vs Wheeling
Fuel franchise records he's in the race for:
Franchise career games: 4th place with 168 games
Record held by Zach Miskovic at 254
Franchise points: 2nd place at 141 points
Record held by Josh Shalla with 153 points
Franchise goals: 2nd place at 76 goals
Record held by Josh Shalla with 80 goals
Franchise assists: Tied for 5th place at 65 assists
Record held by Josh Shalla with 73 assists
Watson was drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the 7th round of the 2014 NHL Draft (#209 overall). Prior to going pro, he had six consecutive seasons (between 2011-12 and 2016-17) where he scored 20 or more goals in a season. Since his pro-hockey debut with the Ontario Reign in 2017, he has scored 20+ goals in four seasons - 2017-18 and 2018-19 with the Manchester Monarchs and 2019-20 and 2021-22 with the Indy Fuel.
Watson on his return to the Fuel:
"Coming off of an exciting last 20 games under head coach Duncan Dalmao, I'm excited to see what this year's team can accomplish. I think we have a great core of returning players who are committed to giving our great fans the hockey they deserve. Playing in Indy has provided me with some life long memories and friendships. I can't wait to get things started back in Indy."
Watson's signing brings the Fuel's 2022-23 roster total to 13 so far, with seven forwards (Bryan Lemos, Jan Mandat, Brenden Locke, Chris Van Os-Shaw, Chad Yetman, Nate Pionk and Spencer Watson), five defensemen (Cam Bakker, Chris Cameron, Kirill Chaika, Josh McDougall and Tanner Butler) and one goalie (Connor O'Brien). Stay tuned to the Indy Fuel social media pages for more player signing announcements throughout the offseason.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from September 23, 2022
- Swamp Rabbits Partner with Arthrex in Mult-Year Agreement - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Veteran Stefan Fournier Returns to Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Idaho Steelheads Agree to Terms with Goaltender Jake Kupsky for 2022-23 Season - Idaho Steelheads
- Former All-Star Jalen Smereck Signs with Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Heartlanders Sign Defenseman Nolan Orzeck - Iowa Heartlanders
- Growlers Re-Sign Forward Derian Plouffe - Newfoundland Growlers
- Peski Back to Portland - Maine Mariners
- Worcester Railers HC Re-Sign Veteran Forward Bobby Butler for 2022-23 Season - Worcester Railers HC
- Indy Re-Signs Forward Spencer Watson - Indy Fuel
- Walleye Sign a Pair of Goalies - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.