Indians Fall to Nationals in Rain Shortened Game
Kinston, N.C. - After a rain shortened game, the Down East Wood Ducks, playing as the Kinston Indians, fell to the Fredericksburg Nationals 2-1 Saturday night. The Wood Ducks fall to 15-8 on the season but remain in first after Carolina rains out in Zebulon.
After waiting to see if a storm would hit Kinston, the rain came down in buckets to start the top of the seventh with the Kinston Indians (15-8) trailing the Fredericksburg Nationals (4-19). The game was officially called with one out in the top of the seventh and the Kinston Indians lost their final game.
Kinston opened the scoring in the bottom of the first. Evan Carter walked and came around to score the opening run of the game on a throwing error by Bryan Pena as he attempted a pickoff. Fredericksburg answered in the top of the third with two runs and that is where the scoring ended.
Nick Krauth (0-1) falls for the first time this season after pitching a season-high six innings with two runs allowed (one earned) on three hits with four strikeouts. Nic Laio pitched 1/3 of an inning before the rain came in and washed out the remainder of the contest.
The Wood Ducks and Nationals wrap up the series tomorrow with first pitch set for 1:00 p.m. Down East will send RH Mason Englert (1-0, 1.50) to the mound and Fredericksburg will counter with LHP Mitchell Parker (1-2, 3.86)
Fans can still purchase tickets for the month of May on woodducksbaseball.com, by calling the Wood Ducks Team Offices at (252) 686-5164 or in the Wood Ducks Team Offices located at Grainger Stadium (Mon-Fri - 9am -5pm). Make sure to follow your Down East Wood Ducks on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook so you don't miss anything!
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from May 29, 2021
- RiverDogs Erase Six-Run Deficit to Beat Woodpeckers 7-6 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bats Light up Augusta on Fireworks Night at Segra Park - Columbia Fireflies
- Indians Fall to Nationals in Rain Shortened Game - Down East Wood Ducks
- Boone Steals Home, FredNats Win 2-1 in Rain-Shortened Affair - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Mudcats and Cannon Ballers Postponed in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Saturday's Game Postponed - Salem Red Sox
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes 5-29 vs Augusta GreenJackets - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds and Hillcats Game Postponed Due to Weather - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - vs. Fredericksburg - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Hang on to Win 10-9 over SalemÃÂ - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks to Host Second Annual Kinston Cornhole Classic Presented by Poole Realty
- Cristian Inoa Named Low-A East Player of the Week
- Wood Ducks Earn 2021 Postseason Berth
- White Tosses Seven No-Hit Innings in Woodies Win
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - vs. Charleston