In First win in MLS this season, Corey Burke scores and assists
CHICAGO, Il. - The Philadelphia Union took on Chicago Fire FC at Soldier Field on Saturday, May 8, securing their first MLS win this season with a 2-0 win. The first half remained scoreless with the Union creating the bulk of chances, outshooting Chicago 9 to 3. In the second half, Cory Burke's left footed volley made it 1-0 in the 51' followed by a headed goal by Jakob Glesnes in the 60'. Andre Blake recorded 3 saves to ensure the Union get the clean sheet. Homegrown Jack McGlynn earned his first MLS start of his career and became the 8th homegrown to make an MLS start for Philadelphia Union. McGlynn also became the second-youngest player to start for the Union in MLS play at 17 years old (17 years, 10 months, and 1 day). The Union are home at Subaru Park on Wednesday, May 12, where they will face the New England Revolution. (7:30 p.m. ET / PH17).
Chicago Fire FC 0 - Philadelphia Union 2
Soldier Field (Chicago, IL)
Saturday, May 8, 2021
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Marcos DeOliveira
Assistant Referees: Eric Boria, Ian McKay
Fourth Official: Tori Penso
VAR: Daniel Radford
Ast. VAR: Craig Lowry
Weather: 49 degrees and Sunny
PHI - Cory Burke (Monteiro) 51'
PHI - Jakob Glesnes (Burke) 60'
CHI - Johan Kappelhof (caution) 26'
CHI - Wyatt Omsberg (caution) 48'
PHI - Sergio Santos (caution) 90+2'
CHI - Boris Sekulic (caution) 90+2'
PHI - Alejandro Bedoya (caution) 90+6'
PHI - Jakob Glesnes (caution) 90+7'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Jack Elliott, Jakob Glesnes, Kai Wagner, Olivier Mbaizo (Matthew Real 79'); Jack Mcglynn (Anthony Fontana 62'), Alejandro Bedoya, Leon Flach; Jamiro Monteiro; Cory Burke (Sergio Santos 61'), Kacper Przybylko
Substitutes not used: Matthew Freese, Aurélien Collin, Cole Turner, Quinn Sullivan
Chicago Fire FC: Bobby Shuttleworth, Francisco Calvo, Wyatt Omsberg (Jhon Jairo Espinoza 71'), Jonathan Bornstein (Miguel Navarro 57'), Boris Sekulic; Gastón Giménez, Johan Kappelhof (Mauricio Pineda 46'); Luka Stojanovic (Álvaro Medrán 57'), Przemyslaw Frankowski, Elliot Collier (Nnamdi Chinonso Offor 57'); Robert Beric
Substitutes not used: Gabriel Slonina, Brian Gutierrez, Javier Casas, Alex Monis
Homegrown Jack McGlynn earned his first MLS start of his career. McGlynn became the 8th homegrown to make an MLS start for Philadelphia Union. McGlynn also became the second-youngest player to start for the Union in MLS play at 17 years old (17 years, 10 months and 1 day).
Cory Burke made his second start of the MLS season, scoring in the 51'. Five of Burke's 15 career goals have come against the Fire including the game-winner in the last matchup between the two sides. Burke also picked up an assist in today's match.
Jakob Glesnes scores his first goal of the season with a headed goal.
Andre Blake records 3 saves and secures the clean sheet for the Union.
Jamiro Monteiro registers his first assist of the season.
The Union are home at Subaru Park on Wednesday, May 12 where they will face the New England Revolution. (7:30 p.m. ET / PH17)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 8, 2021
- LAFC Suffers First Loss of Season, Falls to Galaxy 2-1 - Los Angeles FC
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Nani Scores in Third Straight Match; Lions Draw NYCFC 1-1 - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas and Houston Dynamo FC Split Points in First 2021 Texas Derby Meeting at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - May 9, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Draw 1-1 at FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo FC
- CF Montréal Drops Decision to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- 'Caps surge past CF Montréal behind Dájome's second-half brace - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Wraps up Homestand with Win over New England to Remain Undefeated - Nashville SC
- New York Records Second-Straight Home Cleansheet, Defeats Toronto, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Lose 3-1 to Columbus Crew SC on the Road - D.C. United
- Revolution Fall to Nashville SC, 2-0 - New England Revolution
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-0 to Philadelphia Union at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire FC
- In First win in MLS this season, Corey Burke scores and assists - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Launches Second Screen Watch Along for Tonight's El Tráfico Match on Fox - MLS
- Storylines: City vs. NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-1 to the San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- Wondolowski scores twice; Quakes extend winning streak to three - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union advance to Eastern Conference Finals of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2022 Home Opener
- Glesnes scores extra time stoppage time goal; Union advance to Eastern Conference Semifinals
- Ground Broken on Rebuild Project at Capitolo Playground Fields
- Philadelphia Union Home Playoff Match Set for November 20, 2:30 p.m. Et