Impact Acquires Nigerian Striker Orji Okwonkwo on Loan
MONTREAL - The Montreal Impact announced on Tuesday the acquisition of Nigerian striker Orji Okwonkwo, following a loan from Italian club Bologna FC 1909 for the 2019 season. He will join the club upon receiving his international transfer certificate, his visa, and passing his medical.
"I'm satisfied in welcoming another striker to the team," declared Impact head coach Rémi Garde. "Orji Okwonkwo is a young player scouted by Bologna three years ago who will help reinforce the team offensively. He's a strong and quick forward who has an interesting margin of progression. I would like to welcome him to the team."
Okwonkwo, 21, has played the last three seasons in Italy, scoring three goals in 27 Serie A games with Bologna FC 1909, including four starts, and 951 minutes, between 2016 and 2019. He joined the Italian club in 2016 after going through the academy of Nigerian club FC Abuja.
He spent the second half of the 2017-18 season on loan with Brescia, in Serie B, recording one goal in 13 games, four as a starter, and 455 minutes.
At the international level, Okwonkwo won the FIFA U17 World Cup in 2015, in Chile, with the Nigeria U17 team, appearing in five games throughout the tournament. He scored a goal in a 4-2 win against Mexico in the semi-final game.
Transaction: The Montreal Impact acquired striker Orji Okwonkwo on loan from Italian club Bologna FC 1909 for the 2019 season.
Weight: 160 lbs
Birthdate and birthplace: January 19, 1998, in Benin City, Nigeria
Last club: Bologna FC 1909 (Italy)
Date acquired: February 12, 2019
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 12, 2019
- FC Dallas Unveils Reunion Kit for 2019 - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Acquire Veteran Midfielder/Defender Chris McCann - D.C. United
- Major League Soccer and Kellogg Extend Partnership Through 2020 - MLS
- Hagglund, Mattocks tally for Orange and Blue in 3-2 Preseason Setback - FC Cincinnati
- Major League Soccer Launches "Our Soccerâ? Campaign for 2019 Season - MLS
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - February 12, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Mercy Health Named FC Cincinnati's Official Health Care Provider - FC Cincinnati
- Heath, Franch, Sonnett Named to U.S. Women's National Team Roster for SheBelieves Cup - Portland Timbers
- Nashville MLS Hires Chance Myers and Ally Mackay to Technical Staff - Nashville SC
- Impact Acquires Nigerian Striker Orji Okwonkwo on Loan - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Sign Danish Forward Mathias Jorgensen - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montreal Impact Stories
- Six Players from the Impact Academy at the U17 World Cup in Brazil
- Montreal Impact Foundation Donates Multisport Mini-Field to Parc Joe-Beef
- Orji Okwonkwo Named Impact Most Valuable Player
- Montreal Impact's Possible Opponents in CONCACAF Champions League Are Known
- Impact Shuts out New York Red Bulls 3-0