D.C. United Acquire Veteran Midfielder/Defender Chris McCann
D.C. United have acquired veteran midfielder/defender Chris McCann off waivers. He spent the 2018 season with MLS Cup Champions, Atlanta United.
"We are excited to acquire Chris and add real quality, versatility and experience to our group," Dave Kasper, United General Manager and VP of soccer operations, said. "He has played with Wigan and Burnley in the top tiers of English soccer, and he won an MLS Cup with Atlanta last year. We look forward to having Chris join us tomorrow for our second pre-season camp in Clearwater."
McCann spent the 2018 season with Atlanta United and scored one goal in 22 appearances on the way to winning the 2018 MLS Cup. The 31-year-old made two substitute appearances in Atlanta's Audi MLS Cup Playoff run. He came on as an 83rd-minute substitute in the 3-0 win against the New York Red Bulls in the Eastern Conference Finals on Nov. 25. McCann then featured in the final when he came on in the 89th-minute of the 2-0 win against the Portland Timbers on Dec. 8.
The Irishman joined Atlanta United in their inaugural season in 2017 and went on to make 45 MLS Regular Season appearances for the Five Stripes. In two seasons, he scored one goal and recorded two assists. He scored his first career MLS goal on April 15, 2018 in a 2-2 draw with New York City FC.
McCann started his professional career with Burnley FC after growing up in their youth academy. He signed his first professional contract with the club on July 1, 2005. He made his senior debut in the 2005-06 season, coming on as a substitute in the 4-0 win against Coventry City on Aug. 13, 2005 in the English Football League (EFL) Championship. He scored his first goal for the club on Sept. 27, 2005 in a 3-0 win against Ipswich Town F.C. McCann went on to score 30 goals and record 18 assists in 286 appearances across all competitions for Burnley FC and was a part of the squad that achieved promotion to the English Premier League in the 2008-2009 season before transferring to Wigan Athletic on July 1, 2013.
McCann spent three years with the Latics (2013-2016); scoring three goals and recording two assists in 97 appearances across all competitions. On July 6, 2016, McCann signed with Atlanta United and was immediately loaned to Charlton Athletic FC where he played 13 matches before rejoining Atlanta for their inaugural campaign.
Internationally, McCann has represented the Republic of Ireland at the under-17, under-18, under-19 and under-21 levels.
Player: Chris McCann
Birthplace: Dublin, Ireland
Previous Club: Atlanta United
Status: Green Card
Transaction: D.C. United acquire Chris McCann off waivers.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 12, 2019
- FC Dallas Unveils Reunion Kit for 2019 - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Acquire Veteran Midfielder/Defender Chris McCann - D.C. United
- Major League Soccer and Kellogg Extend Partnership Through 2020 - MLS
- Hagglund, Mattocks tally for Orange and Blue in 3-2 Preseason Setback - FC Cincinnati
- Major League Soccer Launches "Our Soccerâ? Campaign for 2019 Season - MLS
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - February 12, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Mercy Health Named FC Cincinnati's Official Health Care Provider - FC Cincinnati
- Heath, Franch, Sonnett Named to U.S. Women's National Team Roster for SheBelieves Cup - Portland Timbers
- Nashville MLS Hires Chance Myers and Ally Mackay to Technical Staff - Nashville SC
- Impact Acquires Nigerian Striker Orji Okwonkwo on Loan - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Sign Danish Forward Mathias Jorgensen - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Live Stream Information for Match against Bermuda National Team in Exhibition Match Presented by Events DC
- D.C. United Announce Traveling Roster for Upcoming Friendly against the Bermuda National Team Presented by Events DC
- Washington Spirit Extends Partnership with D.C. United and Loudoun United FC to Host Four Matches at Audi Field in Addition to Four Games at Segra Field in 2020
- D.C. United Announce Postseason Tour Presented by Events DC in St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Paul Arriola Called into USMNT Pre-Camp from November 2-9 in Bradenton, Fla., Ahead of CONCACAF Nations League Group Finale