Impact Acquires Canadian Central Defender Joel Waterman
MONTREAL - The Montreal Impact announced on Tuesday that the club has acquired Canadian centre back Joel Waterman, following a transfer from Cavalry FC, from the Canadian Premier League. Waterman signed a two-year contract with the club, with options for 2022 and 2023.
"We are happy to welcome Joel to the Impact," said sporting director Olivier Renard. "He's a centre-back that can play every position in a three or four man defensive line, and also as a defensive midfielder. He's a player with the right mentality, and he comes to Montreal following a good season in CPL."
Waterman, 23, played the last season with Cavalry FC, helping the team finish atop both the Canadian Premier League Spring and Fall Seasons' standings, before appearing in the first leg of the league final. He played 25 regular season games and 1,719 minutes, scoring one goal, and three Canadian Championship games. He was selected by Calgary in the second round of the 2019 CPL U-Sports Draft.
He previously played four seasons with the Trinity Western University Spartans, in British Columbia, registering nine goals and four assists in 47 career games, including 38 starts.
Waterman also played three seasons in the USL Premier Development League, suiting up with the Kitsap Pumas in 2016, TSS FC Rovers in 2017 and the Calgary Foothills in 2018, with whom he won the league playoff championship. He also appeared in two Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup games in 2016.
Transaction: The Montreal Impact acquired defender Joel Waterman, following a transfer from Cavalry FC, from the Canadian Premier League. Waterman signed a two-year contract with the club, with options for 2022 and 2023.
Weight: 165 lbs
Birthdate and birthplace: January 24, 1996, in Aldergrove, British Columbia
Last club: Cavalry FC (CPL)
Date acquired: January 14, 2020
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 14, 2020
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Shane O'Neill - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Announces Extended Partnership with America First Credit Union - Real Salt Lake
- Ezequiel Barco, Franco Escobar, Eric Remedi Become U.S. Permanent Residents, No Longer Occupy International Roster Spots - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Acquires Canadian Central Defender Joel Waterman - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire FC and Defender Marcelo Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Announces Full 2020 Preseason Schedule - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Opponents for 2020 Preseason Schedule - FC Cincinnati
- BBVA Stadium Selects ParkMobile as Official Parking Partner - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Announce 2020 Preseason Plans - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Acquire Peruvian National Team Midfielder Edison Flores - D.C. United
- New York Red Bulls Sign Academy Product John Tolkin - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Acquires Allocation Money from Colorado - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Names Frank Klopas Assistant Coach - Chicago Fire
- Inaugural MLS Youth Affiliate Coaches Summit Brings Expanded League Presence to United Soccer Coaches Convention - MLS
- 28 Players Will Take Part in the 2020 Montreal Impact Training Camp - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Crew SC Academy Product Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew SC
- Czech Republic and Greece Selected as Rivals for Mexican National Team's 2020 U.S. Tour March Games in Charlotte and Dallas - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montreal Impact Stories
- Impact Faces Deportivo Saprissa Wednesday in Costa Rica
- Impact Acquires England Youth International Centre-Back Luis Binks
- Preseason Game Report #5: Montreal Impact 1-2 Tampa Bay Rowdies
- eMLS League Series Two Starts Friday in Portland
- Impact Acquires Emanuel Maciel from San Lorenzo