Sounders FC Signs Defender Shane O'Neill
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC today announced that it has signed defender Shane O'Neill. The 26-year-old center back joins Seattle after spending the past two seasons with Orlando City SC, where he started 21 of his 24 appearances. The signing brings Sounders FC's roster to 21 players for the upcoming campaign, as the 2020 preseason began Tuesday at Starfire Sports.
"Shane is a good veteran player that addresses a position of need for us," said Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. "He's a guy with experience in MLS and abroad, and we're looking forward to welcoming him to the squad as preseason camp begins."
Originally signed as a Homegrown Player for the Colorado Rapids in 2012, O'Neill made 52 MLS appearances from 2012-2015, with his lone career MLS goal scored on May 25, 2014 against Montreal. He then went abroad from 2015-2018 after being bought by Cypriot club Apollon Limassol, but spent time on loan with NAC Breda and Cambridge United before moving to Dutch side Excelsior for the 2017-2018 season. Returning to MLS in the 2018 Summer Transfer Window, O'Neill made 24 appearances for Orlando over the course of two seasons.
Sounders FC began its 2020 preseason on Tuesday at Starfire Sports before it opens its campaign on February 20 in Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 action against Honduran side CD Olimpia. Seattle begins its 12th MLS season with a home match on Sunday, March 1 at 12:00 p.m. PT against Chicago Fire FC at CenturyLink Field.
TRANSACTION: Sounders FC signs defender Shane O'Neill on January 14, 2020.
Name: Shane O'Neill
Born: September 2, 1993 in Middleton, Ireland
Hometown: Middleton, Ireland
Citizenship: United States / Ireland
Acquired: Signed with Sounders FC on January 14, 2020
Images from this story
Shane O'Neill with Orlando City SC
(Kim Klement / USA Today Sports)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 14, 2020
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Shane O'Neill - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Announces Extended Partnership with America First Credit Union - Real Salt Lake
- Ezequiel Barco, Franco Escobar, Eric Remedi Become U.S. Permanent Residents, No Longer Occupy International Roster Spots - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Acquires Canadian Central Defender Joel Waterman - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire FC and Defender Marcelo Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Announces Full 2020 Preseason Schedule - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Opponents for 2020 Preseason Schedule - FC Cincinnati
- BBVA Stadium Selects ParkMobile as Official Parking Partner - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Announce 2020 Preseason Plans - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Acquire Peruvian National Team Midfielder Edison Flores - D.C. United
- New York Red Bulls Sign Academy Product John Tolkin - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Acquires Allocation Money from Colorado - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Names Frank Klopas Assistant Coach - Chicago Fire
- Inaugural MLS Youth Affiliate Coaches Summit Brings Expanded League Presence to United Soccer Coaches Convention - MLS
- 28 Players Will Take Part in the 2020 Montreal Impact Training Camp - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Crew SC Academy Product Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew SC
- Czech Republic and Greece Selected as Rivals for Mexican National Team's 2020 U.S. Tour March Games in Charlotte and Dallas - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Opens Preseason Play with Closed-Door Scrimmage against Uruguayan Side Penarol
- Sounders FC's CONCACAF Champions League Match at CD Olimpia on February 20 Moved to San Pedro Sula
- Sounders FC Becomes Founding Partner of Seattle Chapter of Women in Sports and Events
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Shane O'Neill
- Sounders FC Selects Seattle University Midfielder Julian Avila-Good in Third Round of 2020 MLS SuperDraft