New York Red Bulls Sign Academy Product John Tolkin
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have signed Academy Product defender and New Jersey native John Tolkin to an MLS Homegrown contract, presented by Premio. Tolkin becomes the 22nd Homegrown Player in franchise history and the 25th academy product to sign with the First Team.
Watch/Embed: Tolkin Signs Homegrown Deal
"John is regarded as a top young talent not just in our academy, but in the U.S. Youth National Team Pool as well," said Sporting Director Denis Hamlett. "We are proud to have played a role in John's development so far, and happy to share this day with him and his family as he begins his professional career."
Tolkin, 17, has been a part of the Red Bulls Academy since 2015. He has made 79 appearances during the Developmental Academy regular season and has recorded 15 goals. While in the Red Bulls Academy, the Chatham, New Jersey, native not only received call ups but has featured for the Under-17 U.S. Men's Youth National squad eight times.
"We're thrilled for John, his family, and our club," said Head Coach Chris Armas. "John stood out to us in preseason last year with his fearlessness, high soccer intelligence, and ability to play within our style. We saw that continue with NYRB II last season and we're excited to continue working with him as he starts his professional career."
This past season, Tolkin played 13 times, starting in nine matches for New York Red Bulls II. He tallied 807 minutes played with three assists. Tolkin recorded his first professional point in his first professional game as NYRB II came back to win 4-3 on the road against Philadelphia Union II, formerly known as Bethlehem Steel, on July 10.
"I'm very excited to sign my first pro contract," said Tolkin. "Every academy kid dreams of this, and I'm happy it's here now. I'm ready to work hard and do everything for the club, I love the club and I can't wait to get started."
Transaction: New York Red Bulls Sign John Tolkin to a Homegrown Contract on January 14, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 14, 2020
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Shane O'Neill - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Announces Extended Partnership with America First Credit Union - Real Salt Lake
- Ezequiel Barco, Franco Escobar, Eric Remedi Become U.S. Permanent Residents, No Longer Occupy International Roster Spots - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Acquires Canadian Central Defender Joel Waterman - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire FC and Defender Marcelo Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Announces Full 2020 Preseason Schedule - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Opponents for 2020 Preseason Schedule - FC Cincinnati
- BBVA Stadium Selects ParkMobile as Official Parking Partner - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Announce 2020 Preseason Plans - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Acquire Peruvian National Team Midfielder Edison Flores - D.C. United
- New York Red Bulls Sign Academy Product John Tolkin - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Acquires Allocation Money from Colorado - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Names Frank Klopas Assistant Coach - Chicago Fire
- Inaugural MLS Youth Affiliate Coaches Summit Brings Expanded League Presence to United Soccer Coaches Convention - MLS
- 28 Players Will Take Part in the 2020 Montreal Impact Training Camp - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Crew SC Academy Product Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew SC
- Czech Republic and Greece Selected as Rivals for Mexican National Team's 2020 U.S. Tour March Games in Charlotte and Dallas - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Sign 2020 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick Patrick Seagrist
- New York Red Bulls Announce Upgrades to Red Bull Arena for 2020 Season
- MSG Networks Announces 2020 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule
- New York Red Bulls Sign Cristian Casseres Jr to New MLS Contract
- Red Bull Arena to Host Greece, Costa Rica for International Friendly