IceRays Beat Jackalopes 2-1
Kris Tebbs made 31 saves and Justin Quenneville had a goal and an assist as the Corpus Christi IceRays outlast the Odessa Jackalopes 2-1 on Friday night at the American Bank Center. The win for the IceRays was their first against Odessa this season and improved their record back to .500 at 10-10-3. The IceRays also snapped the Jacks' franchise-best, 11-game winning streak and 12-game point streak, handing Odessa their first regulation loss since Nov. 18th. The IceRays will wrap up the week with a Saturday night visit to the Laredo Bucks, and then return home to once again host the Jackalopes on Tuesday night at the American Bank Center at 7:05pm. Tickets are on sale now. For more information, please contact the IceRays at 361-814-PUCK.
The IceRays and Jacks continued their physical play from last week and the bad blood was felt early in the game. The IceRays took an early 1-0 lead when John Adams scored on a slapshot on a power play at 4:58. Then at 7:25 a line brawl ensued as Corpus Christi and Odessa had three separate fights break out and five players were ejected. Once the smoke cleared, the Jacks had a five-minute major power play, but it was the Rays who found the back of the net. Justin Quenneville converted a shorthanded breakaway at 8:28 to increase the IceRays lead to 2-0. The IceRays outshot the Jacks 12-7 in the opening period.
The clubs played a scoreless period and the IceRays 2-0 lead remained intact.
In the final frame, the Jacks got on the board to pull within a goal. Brian Swiniarski scored from the left point at 11:31 to get Odessa on the board, but that's as close as they got as the IceRays held on for the 2-1 victory.
Kris Tebbs (6-5-3) earned the win making 31 saves on 32 shots and Dan McWhinney (2-1) took the loss making 23 saves on 25 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-6 while the Jackalopes went 0-5 on the man advantage. The IceRays were outshot by the Jacks 32-25.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 19, 2008
- Arizona Falls to Texas 4-2 Friday Night - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Defeat 'Dogs 4-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Rays Top Jacks, 2-1; Streak Ends at 11 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Eagles Fly By Scorpions - New Mexico Scorpions
- Mudbugs Slip by Tulsa in a Shootut - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Eagles Win Again in New Mexico, Improve to 19-4-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Offensive Outburst Rushes' Gorillas to 7-5 Victory - Amarillo Gorillas
- Bucks Buzz Killer Bees 5-4 - Laredo Bucks
- Bees Lose to Bucks 5-4 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- IceRays Beat Jackalopes 2-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- RiverKings Fall at Wichita, 2-1 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Boron Makes Early Offense Stand Up - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs and McWhite's Play Host to, Donate Toys to Children - Arizona Sundogs
- Shots from the Point for Friday - CHL
- Jackalopes Sign Goalie Symington - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale