IceRays beat Americans 4-1
The Allen American played their first home game in franchise history on Saturday night, but it was the Corpus Christi IceRays who spoiled the party with a 4-1 win and the first victory in the Allen Event Center. Four different IceRays scored and Kevin Desfosses made 37 saves to lead the IceRays to victory. Corpus Christi improved to 3-4-2 on the season and handed Allen just their second regulation loss of the year. The IceRays remain on the road as part of a four-game road trip that continues next weekend with a pair of visits to Arizona. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The IceRays got on the board first with the only goal of the opening period. Ryan Garbutt created a turnover at the Americans blue line and cut towards the net putting a backhand off of netminder Charlie Effinger. The rebound skipped right to Justin Quenneville who buried the puck from the slot at 11:36. The IceRays held the lead throughout the period and outshot the Americans 10-7.
The teams traded power play goals late in the second period, and the IceRays kept their lead heading into the third. At 16:01 Jereme Tendler scored on a shot from the right wing boards to make it 2-0. Tendler now has points in eight of nine games this year. The Americans got on the board just over a minute later. Justin Bowers scored on a wraparound at 17:50 to cut the Corpus Christi lead to 2-1 after two periods.
Corpus Christi put the game on ice in the third period with a pair of goals. Chad Costello reclaimed the two-goal lead for the IceRays at 3:45 with a power play goal, and then Ryan Garbutt rushed into the play and ripped a slapshot past Effinger from the high slot for his first professional goal at 14:12.
Kevin Desfosses (2-3) earned the win making 37 saves on 38 shots. Charlie Effinger (3-2) took the loss stopping 27 of 31 shots. The IceRays power play went 2-8 and the Americans went 1-2. The IceRays were outshot by the Americans 38-31 in the game.
The IceRays remain on the road for three more on their four-game road trip, before returning to Corpus Christi on Friday, Nov. 20th to host the Allen Americans. For more information, please call the IceRays at 814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 7, 2009
- Rush Topped By Riverkings 3-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs' Comeback Effort not Enough in 4-3 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Split Weekend Set in South Dakota - Mississippi RiverKings
- IceRays beat Americans 4-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- 'Bugs Lose Second Straight to Jacks - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mavs Earn Point in OT Loss to Killer Bees, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bucks Take Two of Three From Sundogs - Laredo Bucks
- Jacks Defeat Mudbugs, 4-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Texas powerplay delivers victory over Tulsa - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Penner, Eagles Earn Win in First Road Game of Year - Colorado Eagles
- Gorillas unable to complete the comeback - Amarillo Gorillas
- Sundogs Activate Foy, Place Roussel On 14-Day I.R. - Arizona Sundogs
- Smith Sent Back To Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- Bucks Close Out Series In Arizona Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Rush Top RiverKings 5-1 In Special Teams Battle - Rapid City Rush
- Delforte Extends Scoring Streak as Sundogs Earn Point, Fall to Bucks in Shootout - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale