Hounds Win Third Straight, Hold on for Win
A pair of "great escapes" helped the RockHounds claim their third consecutive victory, a 7-5 win over the Springfield Cardinals, Friday night at Security Bank Ballpark.
Both starting pitchers allowed the first two batters they faced to reach base. The RockHounds' Matt Milburn escaped ... Springfield's Johan Oviedo didn't. The 'Hounds scored four runs against the Cardinals right-hander, who was lifted for a reliever with a 2-0 count to Tylor Motter (the seventh batter), still in the first inning. Dan Gamache and Tyler Ramirez had RBI hits and two more runs scored on wild pitches.
Jonah Heim ripped a line drive home run to left-center in the fourth and Chase Calabuig collected the first of his two RBI with a single to close the inning as the RockHounds built their lead to 6-1. Calabuig added a second RBI with a double in the eighth ... his 100th hit of the season.
The second "escape" came in the ninth as Springfield rallied for three runs ... and ran themselves out of another ... on home runs from Juan Yepez (solo) and Johan Mieses (two-run HR). Chris Chinea opened the inning with a hit down the right field line and tried to for a double. Clabuig fielded the ball and his on-target throw to shortstop Edwin Diaz got Chinea for the first out of the inning, just moments before Yepez's homer.
The Texas League South Division
Amarillo fell at Arkansas while the other three South Division clubs were winners. Corpus Christi won, 8-2, at Tulsa, and Frisco walked off in a terrific game, 1-0 (in 10 innings) against Northwest Arkansas.
Amarillo's lead is down to two games over the 'Hounds and Hooks with Frisco 3½ back (keep in mind, however, the Sod Poodles finish with eight games at home).
The wild card standings are unchanged. The RockHounds (65-64) lead Corpus Christi (64-65) by one game and Frisco (62-66) by 2½.
There are just 10 games remaining in the Texas League's 2019 regular season
Chase Calabuig is 7-for-9 in his last two games (on-base in 8-of-10 plate appearances) with three runs, two doubles and four RBI.
In his last seven games, Tyler Ramirez is 10-for-24 (.417) with three doubles, two home runs and a dozen (12) RBI.
Matt Milburn went six innings for the win, allowing two runs (one earned). In his five August starts, Matt is 2-1 with a 2.10 ERA.
Saturday, August 24 vs. Springfield Cardinals
Security Bank Ballpark 7:00 p.m. (Gates open 6:00)
- Second of a three-game series and fifth of a six-game homestand
- Radio: NewsTalk 550 with Bob Hards ... airtime 6:47 p.m.
SPR: Alex FaGalde (RH, 3-4, 3.20)
RH: Matt Milburn (RH, 7-7, 3.10)
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Taveras Collects Second-Consecutive Walk-Off in 4-3 - Frisco RoughRiders
- Riders Welcome Seventh-Largest Crowd in Franchise History - Frisco RoughRiders
- Tavevars Stuns Naturals Again, Frisco Win Wins in Extras, 4-3 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Brilliant Lloyd Carries Sod Poodles to Close Win - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Poodles Pinch Travs, 1-0 - Arkansas Travelers
- Yepez and Mieses Homer in 9th, 'Hounds Hang on 7-5 - Springfield Cardinals
- Travs Top Soddies in Series Opener - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Hooks Win Big to Open Series in T-Town - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Hounds Win Third Straight, Hold on for Win - Midland RockHounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Midland RockHounds Stories
- Luzardo Electric in Scoreless 1st Start
- MLB Officially Announces Cancellation of 2020 Minor League Season
- Update for All USA Softball Ticket PurchasersÃÂ
- USA Softball Postpones "Stand Beside Her Tour" Due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Update on Midland RockHounds 2020 Season