Yepez and Mieses Homer in 9th, 'Hounds Hang on 7-5
MIDLAND, Tx. -- LF Juan Yepez and RF Johan Mieses both homered in the top of the ninth for the Springfield Cardinals (28-32, 58-72), but the Midland RockHounds (31-29, 65-64) hung on for the 7-5 win to start the series on Friday night.
W: RHP Matt Milburn (7-9)
L: RHP Johan Oviedo (6-7)
S: RHP James Naile (1)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
-The RockHounds opened a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first, striking on three hits, three walks and two run-scoring wild pitches.
-LF Juan Yepez got the Cardinals on the board with an RBI sac fly in the second, scoring DH Lars Nootbaar and shaving the deficit to 4-1.
-Midland, though, padded the lead in the third with a solo home run from C Jonah Heim and an RBI base hit from RF Chase Calabuig, extending the lead to 6-1.
-An RBI single from SS Rayder Ascanio in the fifth kept the Cardinals within striking distance, while RHP Merandy Gonzalez provided 4.0 scoreless innings of relief from the 4th - 7th.
-After one Midland run in the eighth made it 7-2, the Cardinals had one last charge in the ninth. With one away, Yepez scorched a solo home run to left field. One out later, Ascanio singled to keep the game going for RF Johan Mieses, who rocketed a two-run homer to left to bring the Cardinals within two runs. C Brian O'Keefe then worked a two-out walk to bring up CF Conner Capel. Capel hit the ball to deep left field, but LF Tyler Ramirez ran it down for the final out with Midland clinging to the 7-5 win.
-LF Juan Yepez's solo home run marked the second straight game in which he has homered in the ninth inning. He has an extra-base hit in each of his last three games, going 5x11 with two homers, a double and five RBIs during that stretch.
-SS Rayder Ascanio went 3x5 with three singles and an RBI, and has hit safely in 11 of his last 12 games.
-1B Chris Chinea also tallied three hits, going 3x4.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
-The Cardinals continue the final road trip of the season on Saturday in Midland at 7pm. Catch all the action live on Jock 98.7FM and SpringfieldCardinals.com with the Harbell's Grill and Sports Bar Pregame Show starting at 6:45pm.
-The Cardinals return home for the final homestand of the 2019 Regular Season from Monday, August 26 - Monday, September 2. Check out all the upcoming fun and get your tickets today at SpringfieldCardinals.com/promotions.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Taveras Collects Second-Consecutive Walk-Off in 4-3 - Frisco RoughRiders
- Riders Welcome Seventh-Largest Crowd in Franchise History - Frisco RoughRiders
- Tavevars Stuns Naturals Again, Frisco Win Wins in Extras, 4-3 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Brilliant Lloyd Carries Sod Poodles to Close Win - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Poodles Pinch Travs, 1-0 - Arkansas Travelers
- Yepez and Mieses Homer in 9th, 'Hounds Hang on 7-5 - Springfield Cardinals
- Travs Top Soddies in Series Opener - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Hooks Win Big to Open Series in T-Town - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Hounds Win Third Straight, Hold on for Win - Midland RockHounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Taveras Or Piscotty Or Jay Or Robinson? Vote Monday
- New Track-Or-Treat Time Slots Open Thursday...Space Limited
- Track-Or-Treat Registration Now Open
- Carlson Or Gorecki Or Mercado Or Swauger? Who Gets Your Vote?
- Celebrate Halloween with the Cardinals on October30