Hops Tack on Three Runs in Second Inning, Hold to Win 3-1 against Boise
BOISE, ID - In a low-scoring affair, the Haws dropped the first game of the series 3-1 to the Hops, but a suspenseful bottom of the ninth made it interesting for the fans.
The bottom of the ninth for the Boise Hawks (Short Season A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies) saw bases loaded with Yorvis Torrealba up to hit. Torrealba watched the first pitch of the at-bat skip in the left-handed box and roll to the back stop, bringing across Isaac Collins for Boise's first run, and a 3-1 score. Hops pitcher Bryan Menendez would hold on for the save after a sharp line drive was caught in the air by third baseman Ricky Martinez, securing the win for Hillsboro.
The Hillsboro Hops (Short Season A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks), plated three runs in the top of the second inning.
After a leadoff single by Jesus Marriaga, Hops catcher Lyle Lin batted him in with an RBI-double, his first double of his professional career. Daniel Wasinger followed up with an RBI-double that scored Lin and then Nick Grande skied a sacrifice fly into right to make it 3-0 Hops.
Hillsboro would not score the rest of the ballgame as the Boise bullpen went a combined seven innings, two hits, two walks and a pair of strikeouts, over four pitchers used.
The Hawks will take on the Hops tomorrow in game two of the series with first pitch set for 7:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Comeback Falls Short in 5-4 Loss to Eugene - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- C's Announce Rich Harden Added to Superstar Series - Vancouver Canadians
- Ems Pounce on Wild Pitches, Passed Balls to Defeat Salem-Keizer - Eugene Emeralds
- Rested, Canadians Find 7-3 Win in Everett - Vancouver Canadians
- Tri-City Stumbles in Extras - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Frogs Drop Game against Canadians, 7-3 - Everett AquaSox
- Hops Jump to Victory in Boise - Hillsboro Hops
- Hops Tack on Three Runs in Second Inning, Hold to Win 3-1 against Boise - Boise Hawks
- Genoves Walks It off against Eugene - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.