Hops Tack on Three Runs in Second Inning, Hold to Win 3-1 against Boise
BOISE, ID - In a low-scoring affair, the Haws dropped the first game of the series 3-1 to the Hops, but a suspenseful bottom of the ninth made it interesting for the fans.
The bottom of the ninth for the Boise Hawks (Short Season A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies) saw bases loaded with Yorvis Torrealba up to hit. Torrealba watched the first pitch of the at-bat skip in the left-handed box and roll to the back stop, bringing across Isaac Collins for Boise's first run, and a 3-1 score. Hops pitcher Bryan Menendez would hold on for the save after a sharp line drive was caught in the air by third baseman Ricky Martinez, securing the win for Hillsboro.
The Hillsboro Hops (Short Season A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks), plated three runs in the top of the second inning.
After a leadoff single by Jesus Marriaga, Hops catcher Lyle Lin batted him in with an RBI-double, his first double of his professional career. Daniel Wasinger followed up with an RBI-double that scored Lin and then Nick Grande skied a sacrifice fly into right to make it 3-0 Hops.
Hillsboro would not score the rest of the ballgame as the Boise bullpen went a combined seven innings, two hits, two walks and a pair of strikeouts, over four pitchers used.
The Hawks will take on the Hops tomorrow in game two of the series with first pitch set for 7:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Comeback Falls Short in 5-4 Loss to Eugene - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- C's Announce Rich Harden Added to Superstar Series - Vancouver Canadians
- Ems Pounce on Wild Pitches, Passed Balls to Defeat Salem-Keizer - Eugene Emeralds
- Rested, Canadians Find 7-3 Win in Everett - Vancouver Canadians
- Tri-City Stumbles in Extras - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Frogs Drop Game against Canadians, 7-3 - Everett AquaSox
- Hops Jump to Victory in Boise - Hillsboro Hops
- Hops Tack on Three Runs in Second Inning, Hold to Win 3-1 against Boise - Boise Hawks
- Genoves Walks It off against Eugene - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boise Hawks Stories
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season for All Leagues
- The Park at Memorial Stadium Opens Friday, May 22
- Boise Hawks Launch "Treasure Valley Hometown Heroes"
- Boise Hawks Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Boise Hawks Release 2020 Promotional Schedule