Hooks Rally Falls Short in Loss to Arkansas
CORPUS CHRISTI - A ninth-inning Hooks comeback try fell short Tuesday against the Texas League-leading Arkansas Travelers, dropping a 3-0 contest at Whataburger Field.
Trailing 3-0 for most of the game with the offense silent over the first 8.0 innings, Colton Shaver and Jake Adams singled in the ninth against Wyatt Mills. With two outs, Chuckie Robinson floated a line drive to right field that got passed a diving attempt by Luis Liberato, plating both runs and landing Robinson at third with a triple. But Mills (S, 8) struck out Anibal Sierra to end the rally and the game.
Four Arkansas pitchers combined to whiff 16 Hooks hitters. Starter Ian McKinney (W, 1-0) fanned 10 on three hits and a walk over 5.0 frames. Rehabbing Seattle pitcher Austin Adams and Joey Gerber also worked scoreless outings.
Arkansas got on the board early against Hooks starter Enoli Paredes. After walking the first two batters in the second, Paredes gave up a two-run single to Mike Ahmed for a 2-0 lead. A Liberato single in the third made it 3-0.
Paredes departed after 2.1 innings with an apparent injury, walking off alongside Hooks athletic trainer Christian Bermudez. He allowed three runs, three walks and a hit while taking his first loss at Whataburger Field.
The Hooks bullpen pieced together 6.2 innings of shutout ball, including five strikeouts in 2.2 innings from Colin McKee and three more punchouts from Carlos Sanabria over 2.0 scoreless.
Top Astros pitching prospect Forrest Whitley (1-2, 6.46) is scheduled for Wednesday's start against Ljay Newsome (3-2, 2.09). The first 1,750 fans at Whataburger Field will receive an Astros George Springer "Thumbs Up" Bobblehead.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Tulsa Tops Amarillo for Fourth Straight Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Garabito Strong But Naturals Fall to 'Hounds - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Travs' Hurlers K 16 Hooks in Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Hooks Rally Falls Short in Loss to Arkansas - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Profar Sparks Success in Springfield - Frisco RoughRiders
- Dylan Carlson Named 2019 Texas League Player of the Year - Springfield Cardinals
- Darren McCaughan Named TL Pitcher of the Year - Arkansas Travelers
- Carlson, McCaughan Claim Texas League Player and Pitcher of the Year - TL
- Hounds Winning Streak Snapped by Naturals - Midland RockHounds
- Cardinals Fall 10-7 in Extras - Springfield Cardinals
- Travs Pitch Lights out in Win over Hooks - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Returning to the Texas League Playoffs - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles Drop Series Opener 9-2 to Tulsa, Remain Two Games Ahead of Midland - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Spend Halloween with the Hooks on October 31
- Three Flicks Added to CC Movie Nights Schedule
- Coming Soon to Whataburger Field: CC Movie Nights
- Hooks Celebrate Whataburger's 70th Anniversary
- Hooks 2020 Season Canceled, Whataburger Field to Host Houston Astros Taxi Squad