Dylan Carlson Named 2019 Texas League Player of the Year
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - The Texas League has announced that OF Dylan Carlson has been named the 2019 Texas League Player of the Year.
One of the youngest players in all of Double-A at only 20 years old, Carlson becomes the ninth St. Louis Cardinals prospect to win the Texas League Player of the Year award in its 89-year history. He joins OF Oscar Taveras (2012) and 1B Matt Adams (2011) as the three Springfield Cardinals who have taken home the league honors since the team's inception in 2005, along with RHP Dakota Hudson winning Texas League Pitcher of the Year in 2017.
Among the accolades in his award-winning 2019 season, Carlson was named a Texas League All-Star Game starter, participated in the Texas League Home Run Derby and represented the Cardinals in the MLB All-Star Futures Game, in which he notched an RBI single.
Carlson exploded onto the scene this season, rocketing up MLB.com's Prospect Rankings to No. 2 in St. Louis's organization and No. 50 in all of Minor League Baseball while swinging his way to career-highs in average (.281), slugging (.518), home runs (21), hits (117), doubles (24), triples (6), stolen bases (18), OPS (.882), extra-base hits (51) and total bases (216) in 108 games.
Promoted to Triple-A Memphis on August 15, Carlson still remains among Texas League leaders in average (9th), home runs (1st), RBIs (59, T9th), OBP (.364, 5th), slugging (1st), OPS (2nd), hits (T8th), doubles (T8th), triples (8th), walks (52, 6th), extra-base hits (2nd), total bases (1st), runs (2nd) and stolen bases (T10th). He has only built on his 2019 campaign since getting the call to Memphis, where he's slashing .455/.510/.773 with three doubles, one triple, three home runs and seven RBIs in 11 games and is just two steals away from a coveted 20-20 season overall. He hit safely in each of his first eight Triple-A games, tallying multiple hits in seven of those.
Carlson was selected by St. Louis in the 1st round (33rd overall) of the June, 2016 First-Year Player Draft out of Elk Grove (CA) High School, where he played for his father and former Head Coach, Jeff Carlson.
Joining historic company, the first-ever Texas League Player of the Year award was won by St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Famer Dizzy Dean of the Houston Buffaloes in 1931. The other St. Louis Cardinals to win the storied award are Nick Cullop (Houston Buffaloes, 1939), Jim Beauchamp (Tulsa Oilers, 1963), Hector Cruz (Arkansas Travelers, 1973), Ray Lankford (Arkansas Travelers, 1989) and Tyrone Horne (Arkansas Travelers, 1998).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Tulsa Tops Amarillo for Fourth Straight Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Garabito Strong But Naturals Fall to 'Hounds - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Travs' Hurlers K 16 Hooks in Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Hooks Rally Falls Short in Loss to Arkansas - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Profar Sparks Success in Springfield - Frisco RoughRiders
- Dylan Carlson Named 2019 Texas League Player of the Year - Springfield Cardinals
- Darren McCaughan Named TL Pitcher of the Year - Arkansas Travelers
- Carlson, McCaughan Claim Texas League Player and Pitcher of the Year - TL
- Hounds Winning Streak Snapped by Naturals - Midland RockHounds
- Cardinals Fall 10-7 in Extras - Springfield Cardinals
- Travs Pitch Lights out in Win over Hooks - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Returning to the Texas League Playoffs - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles Drop Series Opener 9-2 to Tulsa, Remain Two Games Ahead of Midland - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Edman and Garcia and Diaz and Ryan...Need Your Votes: Presented by Mercy
- Alternate Site Shirts Are Here
- Non-Profit Hero of the Week: Least of These: Presented by American National Insurance
- Who's the Top Cardinals 3B of All-Time?
- One Last Fireworks Show...End Your Summer with a Bang: Presented by Great Southern Bank