Hometown Farewell: NJ/NY Gotham FC to Play at Philadelphia Union's Subaru Park to Celebrate Carli Lloyd
CHESTER, Pa. - In celebration of soccer legend Carli Lloyd's illustrious career, NJ/NY Gotham FC of the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) will play its Wednesday, October 6 match against the Washington Spirit at Subaru Park in Chester, Penn. The action kicks off at 7:00 p.m. ET and viewers can follow along on CBS Sports Network (U.S) and Twitch (international).
Assets for Media Use: https://phlunion.us/N9cj (Assets will be added to this link following today's press conference)
"I am beyond thankful to Gotham FC and the Philadelphia Union for making this happen," said Gotham FC forward Carli Lloyd. "I have played many games at Subaru Park with the National Team and to have the opportunity to play in front of my home crowd on the club level will be an amazing memory. Let's be loud and fill the stadium!"
Born in Delran, N.J., Lloyd grew up less than 15 miles from Philadelphia and is one of the most decorated soccer players of all time. She's a two-time World Cup Champion, two-time Olympic gold medalist, and two-time FIFA Player of the Year. Lloyd ranks second in international appearances behind Kristine Lilly with 312 and is tied for fifth in international goals with 128. On August 16, Lloyd announced she is retiring from soccer following a slate of friendlies with the U.S. Women's National Team (USWNT) and the conclusion of the NWSL season.
"We are honored to provide Carli an opportunity to play one of her final matches in front of her friends, family, and hometown fans," said Tammy Murphy, Club Chair and Majority Owner of Gotham FC. "She is a true legend in the sport and has inspired an entire generation of players to play with strength and determination. It is my privilege on behalf of ownership and the entire Gotham FC community to provide her the sendoff she deserves."
Lloyd is set to play her final four matches with the USWNT in September and October. While she has previously played at Subaru Park with the USWNT, the October 6 match will be the first time Lloyd has played in the Philadelphia area with a club team. With her final USWNT matches being played in Ohio, Kansas, and Minnesota, the match also serves as one of the last local opportunities for hometown fans to watch Lloyd play before she enters retirement.
"I've had the pleasure of playing with Carli over the years and witnessing her determination and competitiveness firsthand," said Interim General Manager Yael Averbuch West. "She has done everything she can to grow this sport and club. Her career is an inspiration and I'm thrilled we can give her the chance to play in front of her hometown fans one last time."
"On behalf of the entire Philadelphia Union organization, we are incredibly honored to host a legendary player like Carli Lloyd for her hometown farewell at Subaru Park," said Philadelphia Union President Tim McDermott. "Carli has made her city proud on an international stage and inspired passion for the game in children of all ages. We look forward to partnering with Gotham FC to host her Philly farewell."
Gotham FC Season Ticket Members and Groups will have the option of receiving comparable tickets for the game at Subaru Park, exchanging their tickets for another Gotham FC home match at Red Bull Arena (RBA), having the ticket value credited to their account, or requesting a refund. The club will send communication to all Season Ticket Members and Groups early next week with more information.
Single game ticket buyers will receive a message from Ticketmaster informing them that the October 6 match at Red Bull Arena has been canceled. Those fans will then be able to request a refund or have their account credited for a future Gotham FC event.
Individuals who purchased tickets to RBA as well as Philadelphia Union season ticket members will have access to an exclusive presale. Soccer clubs and others who want to be a part of this special event together can contact the Philadelphia Union Group Sales Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 610-497-9909. General public tickets go on sale on September 16 at gothamfc.com and philadelphiaunion.com. Fans can also purchase tickets by calling 877-218-6466.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 9, 2021
- Sounders FC and Orlegi Sports Announce Strategic Alliance - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Rapids Look to Top Western Conference Table against Visiting LA Galaxy - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Host Day of Remembrance Saturday at Red Bull Arena on the 20th Anniversary Commemoration of 9/11 - New York Red Bulls
- Banc of California Stadium to Host Chivas de Guadalajara and C.D. Fas on October 9 - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City SC Loans David Loera to Phoenix Rising FC - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- The Montreal Impact Foundation Inaugurates Third Multisport Field at Parc Paul-André-Potvin - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Dallas Defender Johnny Nelson Undergoes Successful Surgery - FC Dallas
- Hometown Farewell: NJ/NY Gotham FC to Play at Philadelphia Union's Subaru Park to Celebrate Carli Lloyd - Philadelphia Union
- Kickoff Time Changed for Chivas vs. Club Leon at PayPal Park - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Announces Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs Schedule - Inter Miami CF
- Austin FC Sign Midfielder Owen Wolff as First Homegrown Player in Club History - Austin FC
- FC Cincinnati Match Preview vs Toronto FC - FC Cincinnati
- Thanksgiving Day Match on FOX and Four ABC Broadcasts Highlight MLS Postseason Schedule - MLS
- MLS and Clubs to Commemorate 20 Years Since 9/11 with Acts of Service and Moments of Remembrance - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Loan Homegrown Goalkeeper Isaac Boehmer to Pacific FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Midfielder Eryk Williamson Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Defender Michael Boxall - Minnesota United FC
- Inter Miami CF Hires Meghan Cameron as Director of Player Personnel and Compliance - Inter Miami CF
- Orlando City Travels to Face Atlanta United FC on Friday - Orlando City SC
- MLS and Clubs to Commemorate 20 Years Since 9/11 with Acts of Service and Moments of Remembrance - MLS
- New York Red Bulls Transfer Amro Tarek to El Gouna FC - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Kai Wagner scores third goal of the season; Union remain unbeaten in their last six matches
- Paxten Aaronson scores second goal of the season as homegrown stars shine
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Fiserv to Enable Cashless Experiences at Subaru Park
- Army-Navy Cup X Returns to Subaru Park on October 9
- Philadelphia Union's Chris Albright to Join FC Cincinnati as New General Manager