Home No Cure for Scoring Woes in 3-0 Setback
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars were shutout in their return to home ice Tuesday, falling 3-0 to the Portland Winterhawks at the CN Centre.
Winterhawks' Joel Hofer stopped 20 shots as he posted his third shutout of the season, and Portland got goals in each of the three periods from Reece Newkirk, Seth Jarvis, and Jake Gricius. Jarvis and Gricius were named the first and second stars respectively.
Taylor Gauthier was saddled with the loss in the Cougars' net, as he turned aside 30 of 33 shots but was named the game's third star. He was the Cougars' top performer Tuesday.
After scoring nine goals in a weekend sweep against the Kamloops Blazers just over a week ago, the Cougars have now been held to just two goals in their last two games. Tuesday was the fourth time Prince George has been held off the scoresheet.
Portland opened the scoring 12-minutes into the opening frame after Newkirk scored on a pass out from the corner by Jarvis. Newkirk one-timed the feed past Gauthier's glove. The Winterhawks outshot the Cougars 16-5 in the first 20-minutes.
Before that goal, Prince George had a chance to open the scoring, but Hofer made a great rebound save to take away a goal Vladislav Mikhalchuk. Hofer jetted out his left leg to deny Mikhalchuk at the side of the goal after he initially stopped Josh Maser's shot from the slot.
The Winterhawks used the power-play to add to their lead in the second. Jarvis picked up his second point of the night after finishing off a three-way passing play down low. Johnny Ludvig found Jarvis at the top of the crease for the tap in at 7:50 to make it 2-0.
The visitors wasted little time adding to their lead in the third period, as Gricius scored just 34-seconds into the final frame to finish off the scoring. Gricius scored from the face-off circle after being set up on a cross-ice pass by Jarvis.
The Cougars had their chances in the third period, but Hofer stopped all 12 shots he faced in the final frame.
Game Notes: The Winterhawks' top-line of Seth Jarvis, Jake Gricius, and Reece Newkirk combined for seven points. Tuesday was the first time the Cougars have been shutout at home this season. It was a milestone night for Connor Bowie, who played in his 100th career regular season game.
Next Up: The Cougars (6-18-0-2) and Winterhawks (17-6-1-2) face-off in the rematch tomorrow (December 4th) at the CN Centre; the puck drops at 7:00 pm. Single game tickets start at just $13. Tickets are available at www.ticketsnorth.ca or at the CN Centre box office.
First Period Winterhawks [1-0] Reece Newkirk (8). Assists: Seth Jarvis, Jake Gricius 12:21
Winterhawks [2-0] Seth Jarvis (11). Assists: Johnny Ludvig, Reece Newkirk 7:50 (PP)
Winterhawks [3-0] Jake Gricius (11). Assists: Seth Jarvis, Matthew Quigley :34
Three Stars: 1) Seth Jarvis 2) Jake Gricius 3) Taylor Gauthier
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2019
- 2019 Fred Meyer/Wireless Vision Teddy Bear Toss Saturday - Tri-City Americans
- Prince Albert Raiders Rise to Fourth in Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- WHL Announces Five-Game Suspension for Thunderbirds' McNelly - WHL
- Blades List Defenceman Matthew Sanders - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Add Defenceman Matthew Sanders - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Sign Holden Katzalay to a Standard WHL Player Agreement - Vancouver Giants
- Brandonite Thiessen Acquired from Lethbridge - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hitmen Present Royal LePage Benchmark Toy Drive - Calgary Hitmen
- Warriors Prepare for 2019 Teddy Bear & Toque Toss Coming up on Saturday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Hurricanes Trade Thiessen to Brandon - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Andrew Kutnikoff Named Broncos Equipment Manager/Athletic Therapist - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Day Hub: December 4 - Portland Winterhawks
- Tigers' Teddy Bear Toss Totals Announced - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Tigers' Teddy Bear Toss Totals - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Stantec Shootout for Charity Is Back - Saskatoon Blades
- Preview: Broncos Want Short Memory as They Visit Winnipeg - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE and Broncos Clash for Third Time this Season - Winnipeg Ice
- Home No Cure for Scoring Woes in 3-0 Setback - Prince George Cougars
- Spokane Stifles Seattle in 4-1 Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Winterhawks Shut out the Cougars 3-0 - Portland Winterhawks
- T-Birds Fall to Chiefs in Spokane - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Tigers Dominate Hurricanes 8-3 to Win Fifth Straight Game - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Latimer Lights the Lamp in WHL Debut to Help Oil Kings Drop Warriors - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Broncos Fall Apart in Third Period in Brandon - Swift Current Broncos
- Road Trip Opens with Narrow Loss in Northern Alberta - Moose Jaw Warriors
- 2020 Memorial Cup Presented by Kia Tickets On Sale To General Public Tomorrow Morning - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings Roar Back against Broncos - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince George Cougars Stories
- Moberg Signs PTO with Rockford IceHogs
- TELUS Donates $2,500 to the Virtual Teddy & Toque Toss
- Taylor Gauthier Named to Hockey Canada's World Junior Roster
- Cougars and the Salvation Army Announce Virtual Teddy & Toque Toss
- Koffer Invited to Czech Republic World Junior Selection Camp