Hoffpauir's Big Day Leads Cubs Over Beavers, 9-6
DES MOINES, Iowa - Micah Hoffpauir went 4-for-4 with two doubles, one home run and three RBIs and hit a game-tying double in the Iowa Cubs' four-run seventh inning to lead his club to a 9-6 win over the Portland Beavers Sunday at Principal Park.
Hoffpauir doubled in the second, led off the fourth with a solo home run - his 20th on the year - and hit an RBI single in the fifth to total his second four-hit game of the season. Chris Robinson drove in three runs, including two on a double to center in the seventh that gave the Cubs (67-48) their three-run lead. Matt Camp added his first home run of the season to help Iowa to its PCL-best 67th win.
Jeff Gray (1-0) gave up three runs on five hits in two innings but picked up his first win.
Aaron Cunningham homered for the second straight game and Josh Barfield hit an inside-the-park homer in the fourth, the third such home run by a Beavers (43-73) hitter this season. Wily Mo Peña hit a two-run single in the seventh to give Portland a 6-5 lead.
Greg Burke (1-2) took the loss, allowing two runs on one hit and one walk in 1/3 of an inning.
Both starting pitchers were effective, as Iowa's J.R. Mathes held Portland to three runs (2 earned) on five hits and a walk in six innings. Cesar Carrillo gave up five runs - but only two earned - on six hits while picking up five strikeouts over six innings.
The Cubs responded to Cunningham's two-run homer in the second with three runs in the bottom of the second. Hoffpauir scored on a sac fly by James Adduci and former Beaver Bobby Scales came home on Robinson's RBI groundout before Camp's solo homer.
Barfield lofted a fly ball down the left field line that got past Adduci as Barfield circled the bases for his third homer of the season.
Hoffpauir gave the Cubs another lead in the fourth with a deep homer to right-center and stretched it to 5-3 with a fifth-inning RBI single.
Gray came on in the seventh and gave up back-to-back doubles to Nick Green and pinch-hitter Cedric Hunter. Luis Durango singled and stole second, and after Gray retired the next two hitters, Peña singled softly to center to put Portland ahead, 6-5.
But Burke could not protect the lead, issuing a leadoff walk to Sam Fuld and yielding a one-out single to Brad Snyder. Mike Koplove came in for Burke and Hoffpauir doubled off the right field wall to knot the game. Adduci's second sac fly of the game plated Snyder and Robinson finished the scoring with his two-run double.
David Cales worked a scoreless ninth for his third save.
The Beavers and Cubs continue their four-game series Monday night at 5:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Mike Baxter and Anthony Contreras hit the first two inside-the-park home runs by Beavers ... the Beavers have outhit their opponents in seven of their last nine games ... the Beavers fell a modern franchise-record 30 games under .500.
Beavers Game File SUNDAY'S GAME: Iowa 9, Beavers 6 WINNING PITCHER: Gray (1-0) LOSING PITCHER: Burke (1-2) SAVE: Cales (3) HOME RUNS: Cunningham (6), Barfield (3), Camp (1), Hoffpauir (20) MONDAY'S GAME: Portland (Cory Luebke:2-0, 4.22) at Iowa (Hung-Wen Chen: 2-1, 4.00), 5:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast at www.portlandbeavers.com and tape-delayed broadcast on Freedom 970 AM at 7 p.m. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 8, 2010
- Royals Finally Come Through in 12th - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Win Fifth-Straight with 8-2 Triumph Over Redbirds - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Beat Sox 5-2 in Rain-Shortened Contest - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Round Rock Express Club Sacramento 11-7 - Round Rock Express
- Z's Sting Bees 12-8 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Early Lead Enough for Zephyrs - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoffpauir's Big Day Leads Cubs Over Beavers, 9-6 - Portland Beavers
- Iowa Tops Portland 9-6 - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Complete Sweep With 7-4 Win Over Sounds - Reno Aces
- New Orleans Outlasts Colorado Springs, 11-10 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Z's win Slugfest 11-10 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss