Heat Top Comets 3-1
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat beat the Utica Comets (AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks), 3-1 on Friday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat remain in second place in the West Division with a 34-21-5-2 record and 75 points.
The Heat bumped an 8 game losing streak and had their first win on home ice in eight games. Olivier Roy and Joacim Eriksson were outstanding in net for their respective teams, as both of them figured into the three stars selection. Roy was the first star, while Eriksson was the second.
The Heat opened up a 1-0 lead in the first period with a power play goal by Josh Jooris at 12:25, with Max Reinhart and Kane Lafranchise getting the assists.
In the dying seconds of the second period, the Heat increased their lead to 2-0, with Brendan Connolly scoring his first career AHL goal at 19:48, assisted by Corey Locke and Derek Smith.
The Comets got to within one goal courtesy of Alexandre Grenier at the 8:33 mark of the third period, but that was as close as they would come. Derek Smith added an empty net goal at 19:32 with the assists going to the goaltender Olivier Roy.
The Heat went 1 out of 8 on the power play and killed off 7 of the 8 Comets man advantages.
Olivier Roy stopped 27 of the 28 shots he faced and picked up the win, while Joacim Eriksson was charged the loss turning aside 33 of 35 shots.
The Heat and Comets will play one last game in Abbotsford this season, on Saturday March 15th at 7:00 PM. For tickets, please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2014
- Hammond Leads B-Sens to 2-1 Win over Amerks - Binghamton Senators
- Shootout Goal Lifts Bulldogs over Crunch, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves' Home Reign Ends - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Beat Barons in Second-Straight Matchup - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Campbell Shines, Stars Shutout Wolves 3-0 - Texas Stars
- Falcons Down Bruins, Win Fourth Straight - Springfield Falcons
- Checkers Return Home with Win over Lake Erie - Charlotte Checkers
- Bulldogs Edge Crunch in Shootout - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Drop 4-2 Decision to Milwaukee - San Antonio Rampage
- Luck of the Irish with the Penguins Versus Norfolk - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Barons Drop Second Straight to Grand Rapids, 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Sharks blank Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Mathers Scores Another in Saturday Loss - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Silenced in 4-0 Loss to Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Monsters Fall in Charlotte 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets lost at Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- High Fives All Around Sharks Win 5th Straight with 4-0 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Bears Cruise Past Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Nip Pirates 3-2 - St. John's IceCaps
- Pirates Iced by St. John's 3-2 - Portland Pirates
- Comets in the Community: the Jewish Community Center - Utica Comets
- Devils, Wedgewood Blank Wolf Pack - Albany Devils
- Wedgewood, Devils Blank Wolf Pack 2-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Tootoo Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Jets Recall Goaltender Michael Hutchinson from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Sound Tigers Release Justin Mercier from PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Josh Nicholls Reassigned to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Pirates and IceCaps Battle for Series Win - Portland Pirates
- Barons' Home Streak Ends at 9 with 3-2 Loss to Griffins - Oklahoma City Barons
- First Period Hole Too Deep for Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals Earn Wild 6-5 Shoot-Out Win over Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Top Comets 3-1 - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.