Haydar Named The Hockey News AHL Player Of The Decade
The Hockey News, the number-one selling hockey publication in North America, has recognized Lake Erie Monsters forward Darren Haydar as their AHL Player of the Decade (SEE ATTACHED PDF). The current issue of THN, on newsstands now, looks back at the achievements of hockey players, teams and leagues over the past 10 years.
Currently in his eighth year as a professional, Haydar has amassed 217 goals and 354 assists (571 points) in 531 American Hockey League games and is the league's career scoring leader among active players. He was named the AHL's Rookie of the Year in 2003 and the league MVP in 2007. The Milton, Ontario native is the AHL's all-time playoff scoring leader with 135 points in 105 postseason games. His 59 goals and 76 assists are also the most in the league's postseason history. Haydar has won two Calder Cup championships, in 2004 with the Milwaukee Admirals and 2008 with the Chicago Wolves.
Haydar is in his first year with the Monsters, the fourth AHL team in his career. He currently leads Lake Erie in points (35), goals (16), power play points (19), power play goals (9), power play assists (10), game-winning goals (3), is tied for the lead with two shorthanded points (1G, 1A) and leads the team with 11 multi-point games. Most recently, Haydar was named the AHL's Player of the Week on December 28th and was named to the AHL All-Star Team, the third of his career, the following day.
Haydar has recorded one goal and seven assists in 22 career NHL games, having played two games with the Nashville Predators (2002-03) and 20 with the Atlanta Thrashers (2006-08).
Lake Erie Monsters tickets for the 2009-10 season are available now and can be purchased by calling (216) 420-0000, by visiting LakeErieMonsters.com or by visiting any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 5, 2010
- Hurricanes Recall Boychuk, Tlusty - Albany River Rats
- Local Ice Expert Jim Hartnett To Oversee Rink Build For Mirabito Outdoor Classic - Syracuse Crunch
- Ducks Unlimited To Present AHL All-Star Skills Competition - Portland Pirates
- Haydar Named The Hockey News AHL Player Of The Decade - Cleveland Monsters
- River Rats Announce School Assembly Contest - Albany River Rats
- Blues Recall Bishop And Stastny - Peoria Rivermen
- Falcons Sign Defenseman Kevin McLeod To PTO - Springfield Falcons
- "Be A Leader" Program Makes Stop At Summit Academy - Worcester Sharks
- Crunch Loan Center Chris Higgins To Gwinnett - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Sign Kroll, Release Walsh - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Moose Release Petruic From PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Assign McCue To Bakersfield - Manitoba Moose
- Chad Johnson Recalled - Connecticut Whale
- Fans Can Meet Henry And Steiner Wednesday - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Assist Reading Program - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Weekly - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Sonic Sundays, Six Packs And More From The Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Pirates Weekly - Portland Pirates
- Admirals Promote Martens, Hire Wojciechowski - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Stymied in San Antonio, 4-0
- Gerbe Motors Monsters Past Stars in Overtime, 6-5
- Blue Jackets Assign Center Kevin Stenlund to Monsters
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign Forward Nathan Gerbe to a Two-Year, Two-Way NHL/AHL Contract Extension
- Monsters Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Reign