Harvey's Three-Point Barrage Helps Hustle Hold off Texas
Southaven, Miss. - The Memphis Hustle defeated the Texas Legends 120-103 Saturday night at Landers Center to sweep a back-to-back at home this weekend. Memphis moves to 16-10 on the season and the Legends had their losing streak extended to eight. Tyler Harvey tied a Hustle record (achieved three times prior) with eight three-pointers (8-12 3P), including five in the second half, to help hold off Texas' comeback attempt. Harvey finished with 28 points (10-15 FG), one point shy of tying his career-high, and a game-high eight assists.
Memphis, statistically one of the most efficient offensive teams in the league, shot a season-high from the field (56.6 percent; 47-83 FG) for the second straight game and assisted on 30 of its 47 made field goals. The Hustle also had success beyond the arc, shooting 47.1 percent (16-34 3P).
The Hustle stormed out of the gates, firing on all cylinders and leading by 12 at the end of the first quarter. The team built the lead up to 25 points (57-32) with 3:49 remaining in the first half before Texas closed the half on a 13-5 run to cut the lead to 17 (62-45) at halftime.
The Legends made it a game in the third, cutting the lead to three (77-74) courtesy of a 12-2 run over a span of 2:49 in the quarter, but the Hustle quickly responded with a 15-4 run of its own to take a 92-78 lead into the final frame. Texas cut the Memphis lead to single digits on a couple of occasions in the fourth, but timely threes by Harvey, Dusty Hannahs, and Tanner McGrew stemmed the Legends final comeback attempt.
Two-way player Jarnell Stokes (20 points, 12 rebounds) posted his second straight 20-point outing (10-15 FG) and recorded his first double-double in a Hustle uniform. Hannahs and Tarik Phillip dropped in 14 points apiece. Marcus Keene (11 points) and Kyle Casey (10 points) also reached double figures off the bench.
Former Memphis Grizzlies guard Wade Baldwin IV paced the Legends with 24 points to go with six boards and three assists. Trail Blazers assignee Caleb Swanigan (15 points, 10 rebounds) recorded a double-double off the bench. Another former Grizzlies guard, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, scored 14 points for the Legends.
The Hustle will complete a four-game homestand Tuesday night when the team takes on the South Bay Lakers for the third time this season at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Vipers Fall Short to Warriors - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Bulls Fall 120-96 to Greensboro, Snapping Nine-Game Winning Streak - Windy City Bulls
- Capital City Pushes Streak to Six with Win over Long Island - Capital City Go-Go
- Harvey's Three-Point Barrage Helps Hustle Hold off Texas - Memphis Hustle
- Hustle Outrun Texas in Final Minutes - Texas Legends
- Charge Outlast Lakers in OT - Canton Charge
- South Bay Falls to Canton in Overtime - South Bay Lakers
- Skid over: Suns Race Past Red Claws to End Team's Longest Losing Streak - Northern Arizona Suns
- Suns Stun Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Delaware Blue Coats Introduce Team's New Mascot, 'Coaty' - Delaware Blue Coats
- Stockton Kings Reign over Sioux Falls Skyforce, 127-111 - Stockton Kings
- Spalding's Double-Double Not Enough Magic - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Hustle Guard Tarik Phillip Signs with Washington Wizards
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Dusty Hannahs to 10-Day Contract
- Rio Grande Valley Gets Red-Hot from Three-Point Range to Eliminate Hustle from G League Playoffs
- Memphis Hustle to Host Hustle Budweiser Watch Party for Friday's Playoff Game at Buffalo Wild Wings in Southaven
- Strowbridge's Dagger Sends Hustle to Conference Semifinals