Delaware Blue Coats Introduce Team's New Mascot, 'Coaty'
WILMINGTON - JAN. 12, 2019 - Today, the Delaware Blue Coats, the NBA G League affiliate of the Philadelphia 76ers, introduced the team's new mascot, "Coaty," at the Delaware Children's Museum on the Wilmington Riverfront.
Find more photos of Coaty on the Blue Coats' Twitter (@blue_coats), Instagram and Facebook.
Coaty's name was inspired by a multitude of suggestions from nearly 1,000 local children enrolled in Wilmington area after-school programs. All students who participated will be invited to a Blue Coats home game this season at the all-new 76ers Fieldhouse, which opens Wednesday, Jan. 23 when the team hosts the Memphis Hustle at 7:00 p.m.
As midnight approached on a stormy night in July 1776, Delaware's Founding Father Caesar Rodney set out on one of the most important journeys in American history. Rodney rode 80 miles on horseback to Philadelphia to cast a tie-breaking vote for American Independence in the Continental Congress.
Centuries later, the descendant of Rodney's equestrian hero continues to serve the First State, when he isn't busy horsing around. Coaty proudly represents the Delaware Blue Coats as the team's mascot, community ambassador and noble steed.
This high-energy horse is dressed to compete in his authentic Blue Coats basketball uniform. Coaty's custom kicks comfortably fit his springy hooves and his shiny blue coat and thick navy mane compliment the unique white Delaware-shaped birthmark on his nose.
Incredibly, this speedy equestrian's athletic prowess isn't only showcased on the ground, but also in the air. Sixers mascot Franklin taught Coaty how to dunk when he was just a colt, which gives new meaning to the term, "horse fly."
Coaty's mission is to use the power of basketball to help Delaware's youth achieve success in the classroom, on the court, and in their neighborhoods. He hopes you'll visit him at his stable in the all-new 76ers Fieldhouse in Wilmington very soon!
Images from this story
Delaware Blue Coats mascot Coaty
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Vipers Fall Short to Warriors - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Bulls Fall 120-96 to Greensboro, Snapping Nine-Game Winning Streak - Windy City Bulls
- Capital City Pushes Streak to Six with Win over Long Island - Capital City Go-Go
- Harvey's Three-Point Barrage Helps Hustle Hold off Texas - Memphis Hustle
- Hustle Outrun Texas in Final Minutes - Texas Legends
- Charge Outlast Lakers in OT - Canton Charge
- South Bay Falls to Canton in Overtime - South Bay Lakers
- Skid over: Suns Race Past Red Claws to End Team's Longest Losing Streak - Northern Arizona Suns
- Suns Stun Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Delaware Blue Coats Introduce Team's New Mascot, 'Coaty' - Delaware Blue Coats
- Stockton Kings Reign over Sioux Falls Skyforce, 127-111 - Stockton Kings
- Spalding's Double-Double Not Enough Magic - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delaware Blue Coats Stories
- Delaware Blue Coats to Host MLK Day Celebration Game
- Blue Coats Drop Back-And-Forth Home Contest to Grand Rapids
- ChristianaCare Becomes Founding Partner of Delaware Blue Coats and 76ers Fieldhouse
- Blue Coats Down Nets, Koumadje Sets Franchise Record with 10 Blocks in Triple-Double Performance
- Blue Coats Drain Season-High 21 Triples, Drop Back-And-Forth Affair to Skyhawks