Spalding's Double-Double Not Enough Magic
LAKELAND, FL - Ray Spalding led the Texas Legends (8-18) in nearly every category, finishing with the team's only double-double, but the efforts fell short of Amile Jefferson and the Lakeland Magic who improved to 13-10 with the 106-100 victory.
Justin Dentmon grabbed the first points for Texas but Lakeland responded with a 13-2 run to take charge. The Magic went up by as many as 19 shooting 77% in the first before Kostas Antetokounmpo closed the quarter with back-to-back threes to bring Texas within 13 at the buzzer. Daryl Macon heated up in the second, going off for 10 points to help Texas break down the deficit. With the Legends doubling the Magic's output at the free throw line, the visitors closed the half at 47-55.
Holding the home team to another 23-point performance, the Legends managed to tie it up with just under three to play and were within four going into the final minutes. The Magic turned up the heat in the fourth, extending the lead to double-digits two more times. Keith Hornsby knocked one down from outside to pull Texas back within four with 36 seconds to play but the Magic capitalized on free throw opportunities to seal the game.
Spalding led the Legends with 22 points, 10 rebounds, 4 steals, and 2 blocks. Daryl Macon added 16 points, 6 assists and Kostas Antetokounmpo finished with 16 points of his own with 4 rebounds and 2 steals. Justin Dentmon grabbed 13 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists and Wade Baldwin IV tallied 12 points, 2 steals. CJ Leslie rounded out the double-digit scorers with 11 points, 7 rebounds.
Amile Jefferson powered the Magic with 22 points, 14 rebounds, and 6 assists. BJ Johnson added 19 points, 5 rebounds and Troy Caupain tagged on 18 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, and a game-high 5 steals.
Texas has a quick turnaround facing Memphis Saturday night at 7pm CT before returning home to host the Westchester Knicks Wednesday at 7pm. Fans can catch all the action live on TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Vipers Fall Short to Warriors - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Bulls Fall 120-96 to Greensboro, Snapping Nine-Game Winning Streak - Windy City Bulls
- Capital City Pushes Streak to Six with Win over Long Island - Capital City Go-Go
- Harvey's Three-Point Barrage Helps Hustle Hold off Texas - Memphis Hustle
- Hustle Outrun Texas in Final Minutes - Texas Legends
- Charge Outlast Lakers in OT - Canton Charge
- South Bay Falls to Canton in Overtime - South Bay Lakers
- Skid over: Suns Race Past Red Claws to End Team's Longest Losing Streak - Northern Arizona Suns
- Suns Stun Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Delaware Blue Coats Introduce Team's New Mascot, 'Coaty' - Delaware Blue Coats
- Stockton Kings Reign over Sioux Falls Skyforce, 127-111 - Stockton Kings
- Spalding's Double-Double Not Enough Magic - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.