Vipers Fall Short to Warriors
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (15-10) fall short to Santa Cruz Warriors (19-6) on Saturday night, 91-92. Vipers break six game winning streak.
Rio Grande battled intensely in the first period against the Warriors. Both teams kept a relentless attack going and ended up in a 27-27 draw by the end of the first quarter.
The visiting Warriors were trouble all throughout the first half and challenged the Vipers defense. Once they headed to the break Rio Grande found themselves trailing by a slim margin, 52-46.
Deyonta Davis led the way for Santa Cruz as he tallied 12 points offensively. Golden State Warriors assignee, Jacob Evans lll, came off the bench and provided security in the pain, grabbing four defensive rebounds for the Warriors. Gary Payton ll did his part in limiting the surge. He racked up three steals in the first half and had 12 points, leading the Vipers offense.
The second half proved to be tightly contested as well, nobody was giving up easy buckets and the defense was relentless. The Vipers never let off the gas and attacked the Warriors but, in the end, a lone possession made the difference as the Vipers found themselves on the losing end of a 92-91 nail biter.
The Vipers go on the road to go up against OKC Blue on Tuesday, January 15. Tipoff will be at 7 p.m. and can be viewed on ESPN+. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Vipers Fall Short to Warriors - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Bulls Fall 120-96 to Greensboro, Snapping Nine-Game Winning Streak - Windy City Bulls
- Capital City Pushes Streak to Six with Win over Long Island - Capital City Go-Go
- Harvey's Three-Point Barrage Helps Hustle Hold off Texas - Memphis Hustle
- Hustle Outrun Texas in Final Minutes - Texas Legends
- Charge Outlast Lakers in OT - Canton Charge
- South Bay Falls to Canton in Overtime - South Bay Lakers
- Skid over: Suns Race Past Red Claws to End Team's Longest Losing Streak - Northern Arizona Suns
- Suns Stun Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Delaware Blue Coats Introduce Team's New Mascot, 'Coaty' - Delaware Blue Coats
- Stockton Kings Reign over Sioux Falls Skyforce, 127-111 - Stockton Kings
- Spalding's Double-Double Not Enough Magic - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers Premium Dates Released Ahead of 2019-20 Season
- Blair Leads Vipers to Top of G League
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers Earn Third NBA G League Championship
- The Chase for Three Continues: Vipers Force a Winner Take All in the 2019 NBA G League Finals
- Vipers Fall Short to Nets in Game 1 of NBA G League Finals | April 7