Gulls Earn OT Win at Ontario
The San Diego Gulls opened a four-game road swing with a 2-1 overtime victory over the Ontario Reign tonight at Toyota Sports Performance Center. The victory marked the Gulls 10th win over their last 12 games and tied the team for the AHL lead in wins (19). San Diego now leads the Pacific Division in wins (19) and points (38).
Vinni Lettieri netted the winning goal in overtime and recorded his second consecutive multi-point game (1-1=2). Lettieri has recorded multi-point efforts in eight of 12 games played and holds the AHL's third best points per game average at 1.58 (min. 10 GP).
Trevor Zegras opened the scoring for the second straight game for his eighth goal of the season and is averaging a goal per game over his last six games (6-3=9). Zegras leads AHL rookies in points per game (1.23, min. 10 GP).
Chase De Leo recorded the primary assist on the overtime goal to extend his assist streak to five games (3-7=10) and match his career high, while stretching his point streak to a sixth game (4-7=11).
Josh Mahura earned a pair of assists and has six points over his last five games (2-4=6).
Lukas Dostal stopped 37-of-38 shots to earn his fifth consecutive victory and improve to 10-7-0 on the year. Dostal also grabbed his fifth straight win over the Ontario Reign and is 5-0-0-0 against Ontario this season. Among AHL rookie goaltenders, Dostal ranks second in wins, and fifth in goals against average (3.17) and save percentage (.913).
The Gulls continue their four-game road stretch Saturday, Apr. 17 (8 p.m.) against the Bakersfield Condors at Mechanics Bank Arena.
On his overtime goal
I was hitting Dels (Chase De Leo) down low at first because he was all alone and I thought he was going to have some more time with it and kind of explode on them. From there, since we used the low play, I think rolling around might've been an option so I just rolled around to the net. The guys did great moving around and Dels held the net front very well and gave me the opportunity to shoot.
On his assist to Zegras' goal
I took a look before the puck came to me. I got lucky with it, missing all those guys' sticks, but Z (Trevor Zegras) made an insane goal. I couldn't believe it actually so it was pretty cool to see it. A lucky pass by me, but it was just skill what he did on the breakaway.
Head Coach Kevin Dineen
On the no-goal call
He had signaled before the puck went in the net. He was in the process of making the call. We touched the puck so it was a good break for us.
On the first period
We had a very simple game. I thought our support was really good. We were moving the puck to people who were open and that makes for a simple game. We were establishing some offensive zone time. Some penalty issues started in the second period and we ended up wearing down a lot of the same players on defense were logging a lot of hard minutes out there.
It had a lot to do with it. When you're in the box killing penalties, guys are blocking shots and you're rotating seven forwards. That's a lot of guys that not only not in the game, but you're putting a lot of pressure on those guys.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2021
- Mitens Hands Penguins 6-3 Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Falter Late, Lose 5-3 to Barracuda - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Heroics Cap off Crazy Third Period - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Top Wild 5-4 in Rollercoaster Finish - Iowa Wild
- Schnarr, Mitens Down Penguins, 6-3 - Binghamton Devils
- P-Bruins Back in the Win Column with 6-2 Victory over Utica Comets - Providence Bruins
- Comets Come up Short against Bruins, Lose 6-2 - Utica Comets
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Ben Thomas to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Wealing and Dealing - Laval Rocket
- Wolves Game Rescheduled for April 29 - Chicago Wolves
- Postponed Chicago Game Rescheduled for April 29 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Silver Knights Win in Overtime, 2-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Roadrunners Force Overtime In Tight Defensive Battle With First-Place Henderson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Earn OT Win at Ontario - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.