Growlers Drop Game Two to Chinooks
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Growler fell to the Lakeshore Chinooks in a close 8-7 loss in the second of a two-game series.
Luke Boyd started on the bump for the Growlers and was only able to pitch to seven batters before hitting his pitch limit for the inning and being replaced by Dakota Roberts. The Chinooks quickly went up 5-0 in the top of the first inning.
Following the Chinooks quick lead, the Growlers were unable to produce any runs until the bottom of the fourth inning when they answered with five runs of their own to tie the game. Jared Miller started the fourth inning comeback with a single to right field. Sam Faith scored Miller with his single. Cayman Richardson drove in the second run of the inning driving in Brendan Rivoli. Jonathan Foster then drove in two runs with his double making the score 5-4. It was Matt Mervis would drive in Foster to make the score 5-5 after four innings.
The Chinooks answered with two runs of their own in the top of the fifth inning, giving them back the lead, 7-5. The Growlers were not done when Richardson would again pick up the RBI scoring Miller, bringing the score to 7-6 after five innings.
The Growlers tied the game at 7-7 after Mervis' lead off double to start the bottom of the sixth inning. Miller would drive in Mervis on a 4-3 putout.
The score would remain tied at 7-7 until the top of the ninth when the Chinooks sent Takahiro Yamada to the plate where he would then have a sacrifice fly to left field where he scored Ronald Sweeny III to take back the lead from the Growlers to make the score 8-7.
The Growlers were unable to produce any runs in the bottom of the ninth.
The Growlers begin their five-day road trip tomorrow in Green Bay playing the Bullfrogs. They will return on Wednesday, July 11th to face the Battle Creek Bombers at Homer Stryker Field.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 5, 2018
- Stingers Take Game Two from Bucks - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Drop Game Two to Chinooks - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Fond Du Lac Falls 7-4 to Kenosha - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mann's Three-Run Home Run Lifts Loggers Past Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rivets Get Swept by the Woodchucks in 14-2 loss - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Win Fourth Game in a Row and Sweep Rivets - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Late-Game Rally Comes up Short - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Too Much for Mallards - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Split Series with Willmar, Fall 2-0 - Waterloo Bucks
- Loggers Defeat Honkers in Resumed Game - Rochester Honkers
- Starting July 6th: Backpack Give Back - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Travel to Green Bay to Kick off Road Trip - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Wrap up Homestand - Madison Mallards
- Willmar Falls to Bucks to Start Second Half - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.