Mann's Three-Run Home Run Lifts Loggers Past Honkers
(Rochester, Minn.) - The La Crosse Loggers slugged their way to a 6-1 victory over the Rochester Honkers highlighted by a monster three-run home run by Steve Mann (Duke) on Thursday at Mayo Field. The win gives the Loggers a sweep and improves their record to 19-18 overall and 2-0 in the second half. The Honkers fall to 17-21 and 0-2.
Rochester starting pitcher Tristan Stevens (Texas) was the losing pitcher. Stevens surrendered six runs on six hits in 2 2/3 innings. Matthew Goytia (Colorado State Pueblo) came in relief to shut down the Loggers offense, he worked 4 1/3 hitless innings and struck out nine.
Matt Hardy (UC Riverside) had the lone multi-hit game for the Honkers, he went 2-for-3 and drove in the lone run for Rochester.
For the second game in a row it was Mike Rothenberg (Duke) who drove in the first run for La Crosse. Rothenberg hit a sacrifice fly to give the Loggers a 1-0 lead in the first.
The Honkers tied the game at one in the first as Hardy singled to drive in his 10th run of the year.
The Loggers broke the game open with a five-run third inning. Harrison Freed (Butler) got the rally started with a sacrifice fly to center to put the Loggers in front 2-1. Later in the inning, Mann crushed a three-run home run to put the Loggers up 5-1. Jarron Silva (UCLA) capped off the scoring ripping a single back up the middle to extend the Loggers lead to 6-1.
Loggers starting pitcher Eric Mock (Penn State) turned in a dominant five inning performance, the right-hander allowed one run on five hits and struck out 10 to earn his second win of the year.
The Honkers are back at Mayo Field on Friday to host the Duluth Huskies for the first of a two-game series. Friday will be Rich Peterson Bobblehead Night presented by City Auto Glass and ABC 6 News. The first 500 fans will receive a bobblehead of Peterson. Drew Slade (Ripon) is scheduled to make his seventh start for the Honkers, the left-hander has a 1-4 record and a 7.83 ERA. Slade will be matched up against Hunter Bigge (Harvard) from Duluth, Bigge has compiled a 1-2 record and a 3.52 ERA. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 5, 2018
- Stingers Take Game Two from Bucks - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Drop Game Two to Chinooks - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Fond Du Lac Falls 7-4 to Kenosha - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mann's Three-Run Home Run Lifts Loggers Past Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rivets Get Swept by the Woodchucks in 14-2 loss - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Win Fourth Game in a Row and Sweep Rivets - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Late-Game Rally Comes up Short - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Too Much for Mallards - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Split Series with Willmar, Fall 2-0 - Waterloo Bucks
- Loggers Defeat Honkers in Resumed Game - Rochester Honkers
- Starting July 6th: Backpack Give Back - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Travel to Green Bay to Kick off Road Trip - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Wrap up Homestand - Madison Mallards
- Willmar Falls to Bucks to Start Second Half - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.