Bombers Too Much for Mallards
Madison, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (0-2, 28-10) fell to the Battle Creek Bombers (2-0, 18-19) on Thursday night at Warner Park. The Bombers were powered by a pair of crucial home runs that knocked in a total of seven runs and allowed them to build a sizeable lead. The Mallards were able to collect eight hits but could not push across runs in key spots, tallying only two runs on a blast by Tyler Plantier(Richmond).
For the second night in a row, Battle Creek flew out to an early lead in the first inning. This time, the Bombers scored a whopping six runs to begin the ballgame, three of which coming on a Sam Kippen three-run home run. Battle Creek added to the lead in the top of the third with a two-out grand slam that made the score 10-0.
Battle Creek pitching staff had the upper hand for the majority of the evening, holding the Mallards to scoring just two runs. The Bombers held the Mallards to a 0-13 clip with runners in scoring position and racked up 15 strikeouts.
- Right fielder David Vinsky(Northwood) went 2-for-4 with a triple and also made multiple impressive plays in right field. Vinsky saved two runs with a running catch deep in the right-center field gap.
- Third baseman Tyler Plantier (Richmond) provided the only Mallards runs with a two-run home run in the third inning. Plantier leads the Northwoods League with nine home runs this summer.
- Mallards reliever Leon Hunter () worked a pair of scoreless innings out of the pen and struck out two while not allowing a hit. Hunter now has a 1.84 ERA out of the Madison bullpen this season.
- Nicholes Morales () also worked two scoreless innings without allowing a hit. Morales picked up three strikeouts and did not allow a baserunner in his relief appearance.
The Mallards now hit the road for two games in Kenosha followed by a two-game set in Battle Creek. The Mallards will return home on Tuesday, July 10 to take on the Kenosha Kingfish at 7:05 PM. Gates will open at 5:30 PM and the game features A1 Furniture and Mattress Princess Night with appearances by Anna, Elsa and Rapunsel. For tickets and more information visit mallardsbaseball.com. Make sure to catch every Mallards game on The Zone, 1670 AM and 96.7 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 5, 2018
- Stingers Take Game Two from Bucks - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Drop Game Two to Chinooks - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Fond Du Lac Falls 7-4 to Kenosha - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Mann's Three-Run Home Run Lifts Loggers Past Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rivets Get Swept by the Woodchucks in 14-2 loss - Rockford Rivets
- Woodchucks Win Fourth Game in a Row and Sweep Rivets - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Late-Game Rally Comes up Short - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Too Much for Mallards - Madison Mallards
- Bucks Split Series with Willmar, Fall 2-0 - Waterloo Bucks
- Loggers Defeat Honkers in Resumed Game - Rochester Honkers
- Starting July 6th: Backpack Give Back - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Travel to Green Bay to Kick off Road Trip - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Wrap up Homestand - Madison Mallards
- Willmar Falls to Bucks to Start Second Half - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.