Groome Fires 6.0 Shutout Innings in Sea Dogs Victory
Portland, Maine - The Portland Sea Dogs extended their winning streak to seven-consecutive games with a 10-3 victory over the Binghamton Rumble Ponies. The Sea Dogs improve to 63-45 while the Rumble Ponies fall to 46-56.
Jay Groome dazzled in his second Double-A start for Portland. He tossed 6.0 shutout innings allowing two hits while walking one and striking out nine. He has not allowed a run in his first two starts with the Sea Dogs spanning 11.0 innings. Groome has recorded 19 strikeouts in that time.
The Sea Dogs started the scoring barrage in the bottom of the second inning. Hudson Potts reached on a fielder's choice then moved to third on a double by Roldani Baldwin. Jeison Rosario then singled home Potts and Portland was on the board, 1-0. Three consecutive singles drove home two more runs for the Sea Dogs. With Williams at second and Granberg at first, Ryan Fitzgerald deposited a two-run single to left field and Portland led, 5-0 after the first inning.
In the bottom of the fifth inning, Devlin Granberg drew a leadoff walk. Fitzgerald then reached on a fielding error by the Rumble Ponies. Ronaldo Hernandez singled up the middle, driving home two runs extending Portland's lead 7-0. Hernandez then scored on an RBI groundout by Roldani Baldwin and the Sea Dogs led, 8-0 after the fifth inning.
Kole Cottam blasted a leadoff homer to right field in the bottom of the seventh inning, his fourth of the season. Williams scored the Sea Dogs' final run of the game after an RBI double by Granberg.
The Rumble Ponies three runs came in the bottom of the eighth inning. Carlos Rincon blasted a three-run homer to left field and Binghamton continued to trail, 10-3.
The Sea Dogs have an off-day tomorrow before returning to action Tuesday, September 14th at Dunkin' Donuts Park in Hartford, CT at 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 12, 2021
- Ducks Drop Road Finale, 10-4, Split Series in Richmond - Akron RubberDucks
- Villar, Tostado Power Squirrels to Win in Home Finale - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Announce End of the Year Player Recognitions - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Close out Home Schedule with Win on Sunday Afternoon - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves End Road Schedule with Loss - Erie SeaWolves
- Groome Fires 6.0 Shutout Innings in Sea Dogs Victory - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Announce 2021 Team Awards - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Michael Toglia Homers But Yard Goats Finish Road Trip with Loss - Hartford Yard Goats
- Bowie Closes Road Season with Seventh Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- Somerset Completes Six-Game Sweep with 11-3 Sunday Win - Somerset Patriots
- Senators Suffer Series Sweep - Harrisburg Senators
- September 12, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.