Michael Toglia Homers But Yard Goats Finish Road Trip with Loss
Bridgewater, NJ - The Somerset Patriots cranked five home runs and defeated the Hartford Yard Goats by the score of 11-3 in the finale of a six game series on Sunday afternoon at TD Bank Ballpark in Bridgewater, New Jersey. Dermis Garcia and Isiah Gilliam belted back-to-back home runs in the second inning, Oswald Peraza and Michael Beltre smashed a pair of two-run homers, and Jason Lopez added a solo homer as the Patriots extended their win streak to eight consecutive games. The Yankees affiliate completed the season sweep against the Yard Goats, winning all 12 games. Yard Goats first baseman Michael Toglia belted a solo home run in the first inning which gave Hartford a 1-0 lead.
The Yard Goats scored the first run of the game, as Michael Toglia went deep three batters into the game against Somerset starter Ken Waldichuk. However, the Patriots answered in the bottom of the second inning with Dermis Garcia and Isaiah Gilliam cranking back-to-back home runs for a 2-1 Somerset lead. It was Garcia's league leading 28th of the season.
The Patriots added a run in the third inning as Brandon Lockridge scored on a throwing error to make it 3-1. The Yard Goats made it a one-run game on Willie Abreu's RBI double in the fourth, scoring Max George and it was 3-2. That is as close as Hartford would get.
The Yankees affiliate knocked Quezada from the game with a four run fourth inning. Jesus Bastidas scored on a wild pitch, and Lockridge's single brought in Jason Lopez, giving Somerset a 5-2 lead. Oswald Peraza followed with a two-run homer to make it 7-2 Somerset. Reliever Sean Boyle worked three innings to earn his second win.
The Yard Goats got a run in the seventh inning after Willie MacIver's leadoff single scored on a grounder by Wilie Abreu to make it 7-3. The Patriots got a solo homer from Jason Lopez in the seventh inning and a two -run homer by Michael Beltre in the eighth to make it 11-3.
The Yard Goats return home for their final homestand of the season next Tuesday, September 14th against the Red Sox affiliate, the Portland Sea Dogs. Tickets are available by visiting the website, yardgoatsbaseball.com. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and FM 100.9 FM and newsradio1410.iheart.com and the video stream available on MiLB.TV.
Somerset 11, Hartford 3
WP-Sean Boyle (2-0)
LP-Andrew Quezada (0-1)
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 12, 2021
- Ducks Drop Road Finale, 10-4, Split Series in Richmond - Akron RubberDucks
- Villar, Tostado Power Squirrels to Win in Home Finale - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Announce End of the Year Player Recognitions - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Close out Home Schedule with Win on Sunday Afternoon - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves End Road Schedule with Loss - Erie SeaWolves
- Groome Fires 6.0 Shutout Innings in Sea Dogs Victory - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Announce 2021 Team Awards - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Michael Toglia Homers But Yard Goats Finish Road Trip with Loss - Hartford Yard Goats
- Bowie Closes Road Season with Seventh Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- Somerset Completes Six-Game Sweep with 11-3 Sunday Win - Somerset Patriots
- Senators Suffer Series Sweep - Harrisburg Senators
- September 12, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.