Villar, Tostado Power Squirrels to Win in Home Finale
RICHMOND, Va. - In the final home game of the season, David Villar and Frankie Tostado combined for seven RBIs to give the Richmond Flying Squirrels a 10-4 win over the Akron RubberDucks on Sunday night at The Diamond.
The Flying Squirrels (55-52) scored multiple runs in three of the first five innings against the RubberDucks (70-43) and split the final home series of the season.
With two outs and the bases loaded in the second, Villar lined a two-RBI single. Tostado launched a ground-rule double in the next at-bat that scored a run and pushed Richmond ahead, 3-0.
The Squirrels brought around three more runs in the third inning off an RBI double from Simon Whiteman and a two-run single off the bat of Villar to open a 6-0 lead.
In the fourth, George Valera grounded an RBI single to get Akron on the scoreboard.
Richmond responded with a four-run fifth inning to grow the lead to 10-1. Villar lined a two-RBI double. Tostado followed with a two-run homer to left, his 13th of the season.
Villar finished the night with four RBIs and went 3-for-4. Tostado had three RBIs and two hits.
In the sixth, Valera hit a sac fly and Ike Freeman drove an RBI single to cut the deficit to 10-3.
Richmond reliever Ryan Walker entered in the sixth and struck out the two batters he faced.
With Joey Marciano pitching, Jose Fermin punched an RBI single that scored Victor Nova from third base and closed the score to 10-4.
Michael Plassmeyer (Win, 3-8) tossed 5.1 innings in his final home start, allowing seven hits and three runs with six strikeouts.
Walker, R.J. Dabovich and Patrick Ruotolo all tossed scoreless outings while combining for six strikeouts over 2.2 innings.
Akron starter Joey Cantillo (Loss, 0-1) gave up a run over 1.1 innings with three walks allowed and three strikeouts.
The Flying Squirrels are off Monday before embarking on a six-game road trip against the Erie SeaWolves to conclude the 2021 season. Tuesday's first pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. from UPMC Park with right-hander Akeel Morris (5-0, 3.95) starting for Richmond opposed by Erie left-handed pitcher Joey Wentz (0-4, 3.71).
The team opens next season on April 8, 2022 at Bowie and will host their home opener on April 12, 2022 at The Diamond against Altoona.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 12, 2021
- Ducks Drop Road Finale, 10-4, Split Series in Richmond - Akron RubberDucks
- Villar, Tostado Power Squirrels to Win in Home Finale - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- R-Phils Announce End of the Year Player Recognitions - Reading Fightin Phils
- Curve Close out Home Schedule with Win on Sunday Afternoon - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves End Road Schedule with Loss - Erie SeaWolves
- Groome Fires 6.0 Shutout Innings in Sea Dogs Victory - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Announce 2021 Team Awards - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Michael Toglia Homers But Yard Goats Finish Road Trip with Loss - Hartford Yard Goats
- Bowie Closes Road Season with Seventh Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- Somerset Completes Six-Game Sweep with 11-3 Sunday Win - Somerset Patriots
- Senators Suffer Series Sweep - Harrisburg Senators
- September 12, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- Flying Squirrels Announce 2022 Home Game Times
- Ninth-Inning Surge Pushes Squirrels to Win in Season Finale
- Flying Squirrels Blast Three Homers But Fall to SeaWolves
- Squirrels Drop Third Straight against SeaWolves
- SeaWolves Shutout Squirrels Thursday Night