Grizzlies Win 2-1 over the Steelheads
Kevin Carr stopped 27 of 28 shots as the Utah Grizzlies defeat the Idaho Steelheads 2-1 at CenturyLink Arena to begin the season with a 3-0-1 record. Utah took a 1-0 lead as Caleb Herbert scored his 5th goal of the season 8:25 into the game to give Utah a 1-0 lead. 2 and a half minutes later Josh Winquist deflected a Kevin Davis shot into the back of the net to give Utah a power play goal and a 2-0 lead. Winquist now has scored a goal in 4 straight games but left in the second period with a lower body injury. It was all the scoring Utah needed, as goaltender Kevin Carr and the Grizzlies defense took over from there. Carr made his first start of the season and came up with 1 clutch save after another as the Grizzlies begin the season with 7 of a possible 8 standings points to begin the season. Idaho's lone goal of the game as Justin Parizek scored a short handed goal with 1:59 remaining in the 2nd period. Neither team scored in a defensive minded third period, where Utah only took 2 shots on goal. Kevin Carr stopped all 8 Steelheads shots in the third period to pick up his first win of the season. The Grizzlies are home for games on Friday and Saturday next week, October 26th and 27th against the Idaho Steelheads. Tickets are available at utahgrizzlies.com and Smith's Tix. Face-off both nights is at 7:00 pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2018
- Rush Get First Win in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Fend off Americans 6-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Carzo Registers 200th Point, Mavs Fall in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Come from Behind for First Franchise Win - Maine Mariners
- Rays Blank Atlanta Behind Morrison's 30-Save Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers Lose First Road Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Gladiators Shutout by Stingrays 2-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Beast Battle Back But Lose Game 4-3 in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Thunder's Late Surge Bests the Beast 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Persson Heads to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavs Seek Sweep at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Fall 4-1 in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 2-1 over the Steelheads - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Score Shorthanded, Fall Short 2-1 to Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Spoil Rush Home Opener - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Top Gladiators for First Road Win of Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Affair in Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.