Mariners Come from Behind for First Franchise Win
PORTLAND, ME - Down by one into the late stages of the third period, the Mariners got two goals just seventeen seconds apart from Dawson Leedahl and Alex Kile to rally and defeat the Newfoundland Growlers 4-2, for their first win in franchise history. Connor LaCouvee, in his first professional start, made 32 saves to earn the win.
The Mariners scored the only goal of the first period at 9:42 when Derek Pratt spotted Drew Melanson with a stretch pass for a partial breakaway up the left wing. Melanson ripped a wrist shot past Growlers goaltender Michael Garteig for his first goal of the season. The opening period featured eight minor penalties and four power plays for each team - none of which were scored upon, but Melanson's goal came 4-on-4.
Newfoundland got even at 9:45 of the second period when Ryan Moore finished off a 4-on-2 rush, tapping a puck past a sprawling LaCouvee. The Growlers then went ahead at 12:11 on a power play goal from Marcus Power. Newfoundland heavily outshot the Mariners in the second period, 13-4.
The Mariners were awarded a power play at 12:17 of the third period and Dawson Leedahl followed a Ryan Culkin shot to tie the game. On the ensuing shift, Alex Kile took a breakaway pass from Scott Savage and deked Garteig five-hole to put the Mariners ahead. Kile found the empty net from the Growlers blue line in the final minute to seal the game. Kile has scored four goals in four games. Cukin and Melanson finished the game with two assists each. LaCouvee stopped 32 of 34 while Garteig turned aside 20 of 23.
The Mariners next game is Wednesday night at home against the Manchester Monarchs - a 7:00 PM start. Individual tickets can be purchased at MarinersOfMaine.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2018
- Rush Get First Win in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Fend off Americans 6-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Carzo Registers 200th Point, Mavs Fall in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Come from Behind for First Franchise Win - Maine Mariners
- Rays Blank Atlanta Behind Morrison's 30-Save Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers Lose First Road Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Gladiators Shutout by Stingrays 2-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Beast Battle Back But Lose Game 4-3 in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Thunder's Late Surge Bests the Beast 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Persson Heads to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavs Seek Sweep at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Fall 4-1 in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 2-1 over the Steelheads - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Score Shorthanded, Fall Short 2-1 to Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Spoil Rush Home Opener - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Top Gladiators for First Road Win of Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Affair in Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.