Carzo Registers 200th Point, Mavs Fall in OT, 4-3
RAPID CITY, S.D. - Late game heroics from captain Rocco Carzo allowed the Kansas City Mavericks (2-0-1-0) to salvage a point in a 4-3 overtime loss to the Rapid City Rush (1-3-0-0) on Sunday at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center.
With just 15 seconds left in regulation, Carzo deflected a shot on net to light the lamp and send the game into overtime. The score was Carzo's 200th-career point in the ECHL.
After a slow start to the contest that saw each team record just two shots in the first eight minutes, Mark Cooper lit the lamp for the second time this season 13:35 into the opening frame, an unassisted score that put the Mavericks on top. Mason McCarty answered for the Rush, beating Nick Schneider with 1:45 left in the frame to go into the intermission tied at one.
Defenseman Cliff Watson found the back of the net in his first game as a Maverick during the second frame, but his strike was sandwiched by a pair of goals from the Rush - McCarty's second of the game and Steven Tarasuk's second of the season as the home team took a one-goal advantage into the final 20 minutes of play.
The third period went scoreless late into the frame until an offensive zone faceoff won by KC, where the puck was then moved back to the point and Willie Raskob, who fired on net and found the stick of Carzo, whose deflection tied the game with just 15 seconds remaining. Kansas City owned a 9-2 advantage in shots on goal in the final period of regulation.
A tripping penalty with 1:50 left in overtime proved to be the difference in the game as Rapid City found the back of the net on the man-advantage to seal the win.
The Mavericks will be back in action on Friday at Tulsa and will return home on Saturday for a date with the Indy Fuel, a 7:05 p.m. puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2018
- Rush Get First Win in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Fend off Americans 6-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Carzo Registers 200th Point, Mavs Fall in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Come from Behind for First Franchise Win - Maine Mariners
- Rays Blank Atlanta Behind Morrison's 30-Save Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers Lose First Road Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Gladiators Shutout by Stingrays 2-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Beast Battle Back But Lose Game 4-3 in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Thunder's Late Surge Bests the Beast 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Persson Heads to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavs Seek Sweep at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Fall 4-1 in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 2-1 over the Steelheads - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Score Shorthanded, Fall Short 2-1 to Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Spoil Rush Home Opener - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Top Gladiators for First Road Win of Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Affair in Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Eliminated in Game Seven Loss at Tulsa
- Mavericks Head to Game Seven After 4-2 Loss in Game Six at Tulsa
- Mavericks Claim Game Five with Four-Goal Second Period
- Oilers Even Series, Claim 4-3 Win in Game Four
- Mavs Take 2-1 Series Lead with Third Period Heroics