Steelheads Score Shorthanded, Fall Short 2-1 to Utah
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (2--2-1) cut the lead in half in the second period but slipped in a 2-1 loss to the Utah Grizzlies (3-0-1) on Saturday night at CenturyLink Arena.
The Grizzlies jumped out to an early 1-0 at 8:25 on a shot from forward Caleb Herbert that lifted over the netminder. A second goal came at 10:51 on the first power play for the Grizzlies thanks to a deflection from forward Josh Winquist on a shot from defenseman Kevin Davis, doubling the lead to 2-0.
Both sides began to pick up physical play with two fights in the second period. The first came between Steelheads defenseman Jeff King and Grizzlies forward at 4:58, and the second followed at 8:28 between Steelheads defenseman Keegan Kanzig and Grizzlies defenseman Teigan Zahn. Near the end of the frame at 18:01, Steelheads forward Alex Dahl fed forward Justin Parizek on a 2-on-1 shorthanded break for a shot outside the right circle that cut down the lead to 2-1.
The third period slowed in pace until the final minutes, during which the Steelheads pressed for the tying goal. However, despite pulling the goaltender, they came just short in a 2-1 loss to the Grizzlies. Utah netminder Kevin Carr (1-0-0) stopped 27 of 28 shots in the win, while Steelheads goaltender Philippe Desrosiers (1-1-1) saved 28 of 30 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads begin a six-game road trip on Friday, Oct. 26 at 7:05 p.m. against the Grizzlies from Maverik Center. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 1350-AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 7 at 7:10 p.m. against the Tulsa Oilers. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2018
- Rush Get First Win in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Fend off Americans 6-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Carzo Registers 200th Point, Mavs Fall in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Come from Behind for First Franchise Win - Maine Mariners
- Rays Blank Atlanta Behind Morrison's 30-Save Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers Lose First Road Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Gladiators Shutout by Stingrays 2-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Beast Battle Back But Lose Game 4-3 in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Thunder's Late Surge Bests the Beast 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Persson Heads to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavs Seek Sweep at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Fall 4-1 in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 2-1 over the Steelheads - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Score Shorthanded, Fall Short 2-1 to Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Spoil Rush Home Opener - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Top Gladiators for First Road Win of Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Affair in Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.