Steelheads Score Shorthanded, Fall Short 2-1 to Utah
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (2--2-1) cut the lead in half in the second period but slipped in a 2-1 loss to the Utah Grizzlies (3-0-1) on Saturday night at CenturyLink Arena.
The Grizzlies jumped out to an early 1-0 at 8:25 on a shot from forward Caleb Herbert that lifted over the netminder. A second goal came at 10:51 on the first power play for the Grizzlies thanks to a deflection from forward Josh Winquist on a shot from defenseman Kevin Davis, doubling the lead to 2-0.
Both sides began to pick up physical play with two fights in the second period. The first came between Steelheads defenseman Jeff King and Grizzlies forward at 4:58, and the second followed at 8:28 between Steelheads defenseman Keegan Kanzig and Grizzlies defenseman Teigan Zahn. Near the end of the frame at 18:01, Steelheads forward Alex Dahl fed forward Justin Parizek on a 2-on-1 shorthanded break for a shot outside the right circle that cut down the lead to 2-1.
The third period slowed in pace until the final minutes, during which the Steelheads pressed for the tying goal. However, despite pulling the goaltender, they came just short in a 2-1 loss to the Grizzlies. Utah netminder Kevin Carr (1-0-0) stopped 27 of 28 shots in the win, while Steelheads goaltender Philippe Desrosiers (1-1-1) saved 28 of 30 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads begin a six-game road trip on Friday, Oct. 26 at 7:05 p.m. against the Grizzlies from Maverik Center. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on 1350-AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 7 at 7:10 p.m. against the Tulsa Oilers. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2018
- Rush Get First Win in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Fend off Americans 6-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Carzo Registers 200th Point, Mavs Fall in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Come from Behind for First Franchise Win - Maine Mariners
- Rays Blank Atlanta Behind Morrison's 30-Save Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers Lose First Road Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Gladiators Shutout by Stingrays 2-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Beast Battle Back But Lose Game 4-3 in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Thunder's Late Surge Bests the Beast 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Persson Heads to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavs Seek Sweep at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Fall 4-1 in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 2-1 over the Steelheads - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Score Shorthanded, Fall Short 2-1 to Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Spoil Rush Home Opener - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Top Gladiators for First Road Win of Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Affair in Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Receive John Nyberg, Gluchowski and Payne to Texas
- Steelheads Weekly - January 14, 2019
- Steelheads Take Three-Game Weekend with 5-3 Win over Walleye
- Steelheads Sink Walleye 4-3 in Shootout for Soldout Crowd
- Steelheads Open Weekend with 4-2 Win over Walleye