Game Day Report: Mavs Seek Sweep at Rapid City
RAPID CITY, S.D. - The Kansas City Mavericks look for a weekend sweep as they take on the Rapid City Rush on Sunday, a 4:05 p.m. CT puck drop.
The Matchup: Mavericks (2-0-0-0) at Rush (0-3-0-0)
Venue: Rushmore Plaza Civic Center | Rapid City, S.D.
Series History: Mavericks trail by an all-time record of 20-22-2-3.
Tune In: Listen along to Bob Rennison's play-by-play call via the Mavericks' free mobile app or at KCMavericks.com. A stream of the game is available via the subscription service, ECHL.TV.
Carzo Seeks A Second Century: Captain Rocco Carzo is a point away from registering his 200th career ECHL point, coming into tonight's game with 75 goals and 124 assists on his career. The forward had an assist in last night's game on Matt Robertson's game-winning goal.
'Old' Dog, New Trick: Jared VanWormer led the ECHL in power play goals last season, finishing the campaign with 14 PPGs on the year. He registered his first-career SHG in last night's contest, the first goal of the game for the Mavericks, making him now second in the league in goals when the opponent has the man advantage.
Schneids Denies: Rookie goalie Nick Schneider is off to a hot start on the year, entering tonight's game with 54 saves on 57 shots faced and two victories. He set a career high for saves in last night's contest, turning away 34 of 36 shots in the Mavs' first road win of the season. He is currently tied for the league lead in GAA (1.50) for goalies with multiple appearances and is the league leader in SVP for goalies who have played in multiple games (.947) on the young season.
Elementary, My Dear Watson: Defenseman Cliff Watson is poised to make his season debut with the Mavericks in Sunday's game. The Sheboygan, Wisconsin native signed with the Mavericks this summer before earning a spot on Stockton's season-opening roster after a strong preseason camp with the Mavericks' AHL affiliate. The blue-liner is in his second professional season, coming off a rookie campaign that saw him lift the Kelly Cup with the Colorado Eagles to close out the 2017-18 season.
Embrace the Brooms: The Mavericks are looking for their first weekend sweep of an opponent since March of last season when KC handed Fort Wayne a pair of losses with two third-period comeback wins. The Mavs came from behind in last night's game after conceding the first goal of the game to the home team. This weekend is potentially the team's first road sweep since defeating the Quad City Mallards twice in November last year.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2018
- Rush Get First Win in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Fend off Americans 6-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Carzo Registers 200th Point, Mavs Fall in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Come from Behind for First Franchise Win - Maine Mariners
- Rays Blank Atlanta Behind Morrison's 30-Save Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers Lose First Road Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Gladiators Shutout by Stingrays 2-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Beast Battle Back But Lose Game 4-3 in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Thunder's Late Surge Bests the Beast 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Persson Heads to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavs Seek Sweep at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Fall 4-1 in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 2-1 over the Steelheads - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Score Shorthanded, Fall Short 2-1 to Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Spoil Rush Home Opener - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Top Gladiators for First Road Win of Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Affair in Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavs Take 2-1 Series Lead with Third Period Heroics
- Mavs Monday: the Playoffs Come Home
- Mavs Drop Game Two in OT at Tulsa, Series Shifts to Independence
- Mavericks Stun Oilers in Game One with 6-4 Road Win
- Playoff Primer: Mavs and Oilers Kick off First Round of the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs Presented by Smile Direct Club