Growlers Lose First Road Game
The Newfoundland Growlers failed to hold a third period lead while the Maine Mariners tucked away 2 goals in 17 seconds in route to their first franchise victory Sunday afternoon at the Cross Insurance Arena in Maine.
Drew Melanson got on the board first for the Mariners by sneaking behind the Growlers defense for a partial breakaway and beating Michael Garteig at 10:18 in the first period.
Newfoundland responded at the midway point of the second period when Ryan Moore finished off a tic-tac-toe play from Krisitans Rubins and Todd Skirving.
Shortly after the Moore goal, the Mariners were called for Slashing and Marcus Power deflected in his second career pro goal off a point blast from Ryan Moore to put the Growlers ahead by 1.
The Growlers held the lead until Dawson Leedahl beat Garteig, on the powerplay, at the 13:10 mark of the third frame. The Mariners kept the pressure on right off the draw, allowing Alex Kile to capitalize on a breakaway for the eventual game-winning goal, 17 seconds after Leedahl's tally.
Kile would add an empty-netter for the Mariners to seal the 4-2 victory.
Marcus Power now has goals in consecutive games
Stefan LeBlanc recorded a team high 8 shots on net
The three stars were 3 - D. Melanson (MNE), 2 - A. Kile (MNE) and 1 - C. LaCouvee (MNE)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their eight-game, 18-day road trip that sees them play every team in the North Division, in Reading on Wednesday as they take on the Royals. Catch all the action on nlgrowlers.com/mixlr.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2018
- Rush Get First Win in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Fend off Americans 6-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Carzo Registers 200th Point, Mavs Fall in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Come from Behind for First Franchise Win - Maine Mariners
- Rays Blank Atlanta Behind Morrison's 30-Save Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers Lose First Road Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Gladiators Shutout by Stingrays 2-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Beast Battle Back But Lose Game 4-3 in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Thunder's Late Surge Bests the Beast 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Persson Heads to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavs Seek Sweep at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Fall 4-1 in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 2-1 over the Steelheads - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Score Shorthanded, Fall Short 2-1 to Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Spoil Rush Home Opener - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Top Gladiators for First Road Win of Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Affair in Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.