Gladiators Shutout by Stingrays 2-0
Playing their third game in three days, the Gladiators hit the road to face-off with the South Carolina Stingrays. A lack of offense was the demise of the Gladiators as they dropped the road contest by the score of 2-0 Sunday afternoon.
For the first time all season, a goal was scored in the first period in a Gladiators game. South Carolina drew first blood just 2:35 into the first frame. Andrew Cherniwchan chipped a rebound over a sprawling Sean Bonar after he made the first save. The Alberta native's second goal of the year was assisted by Grant Besse and Kevin Mckernan.
South Carolina got an early goal in the second period much like the first to take the 2-0 lead. Just under a minute in the middle session, John MacLeod sent a wrist shot on goal that was stopped by Bonar with the right leg pad. The puck caromed right to the stick of Christian Horn standing at the door step. The former Norfolk Admiral put the rebound into a wide open net for his second goal of the season.
Atlanta outshot the Rays 30-27 but were unable to beat South Carolina goalie, Adam Morrison who gave the 2-0 shutout win for the home side. With the road loss, Atlanta remains at four points and a record of 2-2-0-0. South Carolina picked up their second straight win to advance their record to 3-2-0-0 and six points.
Up next, The Gladiators continue a four-game road trip next Thursday at they travel to Jacksonville for their first game against the Icemen this season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2018
- Rush Get First Win in OT - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Fend off Americans 6-4 - Tulsa Oilers
- Carzo Registers 200th Point, Mavs Fall in OT, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mariners Come from Behind for First Franchise Win - Maine Mariners
- Rays Blank Atlanta Behind Morrison's 30-Save Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers Lose First Road Game - Newfoundland Growlers
- Gladiators Shutout by Stingrays 2-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Beast Battle Back But Lose Game 4-3 in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Thunder's Late Surge Bests the Beast 4-3 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Persson Heads to Milwaukee - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Day Report: Mavs Seek Sweep at Rapid City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nailers Fall 4-1 in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Win 2-1 over the Steelheads - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Score Shorthanded, Fall Short 2-1 to Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavericks Spoil Rush Home Opener - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Top Gladiators for First Road Win of Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Wins Penalty-Filled Affair in Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.