Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Shootout to Rapid City
West Valley City, Utah - The Rapid City Rush defeated the Utah Grizzlies 6-5 in a shootout as Tyler Poulsen gets the game winner for the Rush on Wednesday night at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center in Rapid City.
The Grizzlies got a quick 1-0 lead 31 seconds into the game as Josh Dickinson deflected a Kevin Davis shot to score first for Utah. Dickinson has scored a goal in back to back games for Utah since coming over from the AHL's Colorado Eagles.
Rapid City tied the game 1-1 as Tyler Poulsen got his first of 2 goals in regulation 9:05 into the first period. Utah retakes the lead on a Ryan Walters goal. Matt Berry, last week's ECHL Player of the Week made it a 3-1 game 16:18 into the first period.
Josh Elmes scored on the power play for Rapid City to make it a 3-2 Utah lead. Berry responded with his 2nd of the night and 12th of the season with 12:40 left in the 2nd period. Rapid City's Andrew Radjenovic scored his 9th of the season on the power play to make it a 4-3 Utah lead. Rapid City went 2 for 4 on the power play. Utah was 0 for 3 on the power play. Cole Ully scored with 15 seconds left in the 2nd period, his 7th of the season to make it a 5-3 Utah lead.
Rapid City scored twice in the third period to tie the game 5-5. Tyler Poulsen got his 2nd of the night 7:18 into the period to cut into the Utah lead. Brandon Mashinter tied up the game with 1:29 left in regulation.
Utah outshot Rapid City 3 to 1 in the overtime but Rush Goaltender Adam Carlson made some big saves for Rapid City. Carlson stopped 21 of 26. Carlson also stopped all 3 shots in the shootout, stopping shots from Ully, Berry and Caleb Herbert, who had 2 assists for Utah. Herbert has 17 goals and 15 assists in 17 games for Utah this season.
Utah's goaltender, Joe Cannata stopped 34 of 39 as well as the first 2 in the shootout. Tyler Poulsen scored in the shootout for the game winner.
Game 2 of the 3 game series in Rapid City is Friday night at 7:00 pm. The Grizzlies have standings points in 16 of their 18 games this season. Utah has a record of 12-2-3-1 and the 28 standings points are tied with Tulsa for the division lead. Rapid City is 9-8-2-1 on the year. The 21 standings points are tied for 4th in the division with the Idaho Steelheads.
1. Tyler Poulsen (RC) - 2 goals in regulation, Game winner in the shootout.
2. Matt Berry (Utah) - 2 goals, 1 assist for Utah.
3. Brandon Mashinter (RC) - 1 goals, 2 assists. Game tying goal with 1:29 left in regulation.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 29, 2018
- ECHL Transactions - November 29 - ECHL
- Steelheads Sign Defenseman Geoff Crisfield - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Announce Change to Home Schedule - Tulsa Oilers
- Robertson Takes Leave of Absence, Placed on Suspension - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Inks Christophe Lalancette - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Sign Mike Fazio - Wheeling Nailers
- Stanley Cup to Appear During All-Star Festivities - Toledo Walleye
- Stanley Cup Coming to 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Weekend - ECHL
- Gardiner Reassigned to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cam Johnson Recalled to Binghamton Devils - Adirondack Thunder
- Grizzlies Lose 6-5 in Shootout to Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Mashinter's "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" Powers Rush to Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- 'Blades Sting Rays in 4-1 Win - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.