Greenville Falls to Greensboro on Green Day
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greensboro Grasshoppers spoiled the Green Day celebration for the Greenville Drive, topping the home team, 5-2, in the series finale on Tuesday night at Fluor Field.
Greensboro failed to score in the first inning for the first time in the series, but did get on the board first with two runs in the second and another in the third. In the second, with the bases loaded and no outs, a 5-4-3 double play and a steal of home, thanks to a rundown, made it 2-0. An RBI double by Michael Gretler in the third added one to make it a 3-0 lead.
Both teams managed a run in the fifth. Gretler came through for Greensboro again with an RBI single to make it a 4-0 game. The Drive cut the lead in half in the bottom half, as a Cole Brannen sac fly and an RBI single by Everlouis Lozada trimmed the deficit to 4-2.
Greensboro tacked on a run in the ninth on a solo home run by Jonah Davis, his 13th of the season, to push the score to 5-2.
The Drive tried to mount a two-out ninth inning rally after a base hit by Grant Williams, but Greensboro closer Yerry De Los Santos got a strikeout to end the threat and give the Grasshoppers the 5-2 lead.
Greensboro starter Colin Selby (6-3) earned the win, allowing two runs on four hits in 5.0 innings pitched with two strikeouts against one walk, while De Los Santos picked up his 10th save of the season. Drive starter Alex Scherff (4-11) suffered the loss, allowing two runs on two hits in 1.2 innings pitched with one strikeout against five walks.
Lozada led the Drive at the plate, going 2-for-3 with an RBI and sacrifice bunt. Triston Casas, Tyler Dearden and Grant Williams each added a base hit, while Cole Brannen turned in the team's second RBI.
The Drive will have an off-day on Wednesday, before heading to Columbia for a four-game series beginning on Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 6, 2019
- Watson, Lantigua Power 'Birds Comeback Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Big Eighth Downs Los Perros Santos, Dogs Settle for Series Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hickory Takes Series Finale with 8-3 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Greenville Falls to Greensboro on Green Day - Greenville Drive
- Bird Goes Career-High Six Innings; Earns Win - Asheville Tourists
- Claws Fall 5-2 on Tuesday in Road Trip Finale at Asheville - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rome Shuts Off Power with Late Comeback - Rome Braves
- Corry, Labour Named Minor League Players of the Month for July - Augusta GreenJackets
- Pena Homers in Third Straight Game in 8-6 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Intimidators Unable to Overcome Early Deficit; Split Series with Legends - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Columbia Sweeps Hagerstown, Mauricio Sets New Hits Record - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Fall to Fireflies in Extras - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 6 at Hagerstown (Game 111) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (August 6) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Power Defeat Braves 5-2 as Lineup Stalls - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- West End Events at Fluor Field Unveils Fresh Look
- Step up to the Plate at Fluor Field on October 3
- Waldrop Inc. Announced as the Official HVAC & Plumbing Provider of the Greenville Drive
- Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Event at the Drive Goes Virtual
- Drive Already Looking Forward to Next Year, Debut New Ticket Plan Options