Gems Travel to Arizona for Matchup with Sundogs Friday
Dayton, OH - The Dayton Gems make their lone trip this season to Prescott Valley, Arizona for a two game weekend road trip against the Sundogs Friday and Satuday evenings inside Tim's Toyota Center. Faceoff both nights is set for 9:05pm eastern.
The Gems fly into the desert to finish a three game season series against the Sundogs that began last weekend inside Hara Arena. Last Saturday's meeting between the two, their first this season, was forced to be settled in extra frames, with the Gems pulling out a thrilling 3-2 shootout victory in front of 3,512 fans. Scoring for the Gems were Nick Fanto and Jon Ornelas (including the game winner in the shootout).
Gameday In Arizona
Friday marks the first of two games between the Gems and Sundogs this season in Prescott Valley's Tim's Toyota Center at 9:05pm eastern. The two teams will conclude the season series on Saturday night at 9:05pm eastern.
The Gems carry their 1-0-0 record this season against the Sundogs, who skate into Friday's game with a league low record of 16-3-9. In an interesting statistical coincidence, the Gems enter Friday night's matchup with an 8-15-5 road record, while the Sundogs have played to an identical 8-15-5 record at home this season.
The Sundogs make their return to Arizona on the heals of a tough seven game winless skid, and hit home ice for the first time since January 28, a 6-3 win over Fort Wayne.
The Gems look to get back on the winning path, after flip-flopping wins and losses in their prior four games at home. Dayton's last road trip produced two losses to Berry Conference foes Tulsa and Texas back on February 14 and 15.
Dayton Gems Game Notes
Jammed It for Jimmy - The Gems thawed the IceMen 4-3 in front of a season high crowd of 5,187 inside Hara Arena on Saturday, January 28. Portions of the ticket proceeds went to local teen cancer patient Jimmy Jenks, who dropped the ceremonial first puck.
Sign of the Times - February 25th's win over the Sundogs opened with a unique performance of the National Anthem by Fairborn middle school students, who "signed" the anthem in sign language.
Git-R-Dunn - Dayton's newly acquired netminder Dan Dunn is the fifth netminder this regular season to don a Gems sweater. Most recently a member of the Allen Americans, he was acquired as off waivers and earned his first win during his first start on February 18 against the Blaze (3-2 Shootout win) and again won a 3-2 shootout against Arizona on February 25.
All Star Lutes - Brett Lutes represented the Gem City as the lone Gems player participating in the 2012 All Star Game. Lutes would earn two assists and a +5 rating to help his CHL All Star team beat the CHL's Arizona Sundogs 6-4.
The Closer - Dayton's Tim Hartung sits tied for most Game Winning Goals by a defenseman with 4, while leading the CHL's blueliners in Shootout Goals with 7.
Powerplay Master - Brandon Naurato is locked in a three way tie for most powerplay goals with 10.
Tune Into The Game Live!
Friday and Saturday's games against Arizona are carried live on the Dayton Gems Hockey Network, and can be found at wave96.net or CHL TV starting at 9pm eastern with Gems broadcaster JT Szabo handling the call.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2012
- Rush Lose Nail Biter in Missouri - Rapid City Rush
- Gems Fall to Sundogs in Shootout 4-3 in Arizona Friday Night - Dayton Gems
- Thunder Win for Second Time this Week Over IceMen - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Snap Skid with 4-3 Shootout Win Over Dayton - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Fall in Return to Fort Worth - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Celebrate Dr. Seuss' Birthday with Big Win - Laredo Bucks
- Mavs Skate Past Rush, 3-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fort Wayne Drops Mallards 7-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Bees Spoil Brahmas Return to Ft Worth, Win 4-0 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Oilers Search for Offense Continues in 3-1 Loss to Blaze - Tulsa Oilers
- Blaze Battle to 3-1 Home Win Over Oilers - Bloomington Blaze
- Texas' Mark Guggenberger Named Sher-Wood/CHL Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Rapid City's Konrad Reeder Earns Sher-Wood CHL Player of the Month Honors - Rapid City Rush
- Rapid City's Konrad Reeder Named Sher-Wood/CHL Player of the Month - CHL
- Gems Travel to Arizona for Matchup with Sundogs Friday - Dayton Gems
- Shots from the Point for March 2, 2012 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"