Game Recap --- Colorado Scores Three in the Third Period to Top Rush
RAPID CITY, SD. - The Colorado Eagles scored three unanswered goals in the third period to defeat the Rapid City Rush 6-4 on Friday. Forward Michael Joly finished the night with two goals and an assist, while defenseman Matt Register added three assists in the win.
A turnover in the Colorado zone would put the Eagles in an early hole, as forward Kenton Miller would locate a loose puck in the low slot and lift it into the back of the net to give the Rush a 1-0 edge just 2:51 into the contest.
Later in the first period, Colorado would find itself on a 5-on-3 penalty kill and Rapid City forward Peter Sivak would capitalize when he bashed a shot from the side of the net past Eagles goalie Joe Cannata to stretch the Rush lead to 2-0 at the 11:06 mark of the middle frame.
Colorado would jump right back in the game early in the second period when forward Jake Marchment buried a wrister from between the circles on the power play to trim the Rush lead to 2-1 at the 1:08 mark of the middle frame.
The shift in momentum would be short-lived, as a turnover at the blue line on the power play would spring Rapid City forward Jack Walker on a shorthanded rush down the ice where he would beat Cannata with a backhander to put the home team back up 3-1 with 16:27 remaining in the second period.
Less than three minutes later Eagles forward Jesse Mychan would field a cross-slot pass in transition and snap the puck into the back of the net to slice the Rush advantage to 3-2.
Colorado would then level the score when forward Emil Romig lit the lamp with a wrister from the top of the circle to tie the contest at 3-3 at the 9:26 mark of the middle 20 minutes of action.
The back-and-forth action would continue when Rapid City forward Daniel Leavens tucked a wrister from the top of the crease through the five-hole of Cannata to put the Rush back in the lead 4-3 with 2:52 left in the second period.
The Eagles would knot the game at 4-4 when Joly forced Owen to bite down before sliding the puck into the back of the net at the 9:37 mark of the third period.
With the game now squared-up and with Colorado on the power play, Joly would step into a one-timer that would beat Owen and give the Eagles their first lead of the night at 5-4 with just 4:01 remaining in regulation.
Forward Ryan Harrison would add an empty-netter in the game's waning seconds to secure the Eagles 6-4 victory.
Colorado finished the night going 2-for-6 on the power play, while Rapid City notched one goal on six opportunities on the man-advantage.
Colorado continues its five-game road trip when they take on the Rapid City Rush on Saturday, December 30th at 7:05pm MT at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center in Rapid City, South Dakota.
Kevin McGlue, Play-By-Play "Voice of the Eagles" & Media Relations Director
- Ph: (970) 686-7468
- Fax: (970) 674-9549
- Cell: (970) 566-3280
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 31, 2017
- Big Crowd at DCU Center Watch Railers Drop 5-4 Decision to Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Toledo Takes a Close One, 5-4 - Wheeling Nailers
- Angeli Nets Hat Trick as IceMen Top Ads in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- Huntebrinker's Hat Trick Propels Royals to 5-3 Win - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Goz Joins Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Dzierkals Reassigned to Solar Bears by Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tony Turgeon Returns to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - December 30 - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, December 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: 2017 Wraps up with Matchup against IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Melancon Released from PTO, Returned to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, December 30 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Penguins Recall Wydo & Gardiner - Wheeling Nailers
- Marvel Super Hero Night Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- HOME GAME TONIGHT - Sat Dec 30 - Tulsa Oilers vs Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals' Senick Joins Local Special Olympics Board - Reading Royals
- Rush Fall to Eagles - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Edge Mallards in Shootout - Quad City Mallards
- Winquist Matches Solar Bears Record in 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Loses Second of the Week vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap --- Colorado Scores Three in the Third Period to Top Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Game Report: Mavericks Edge Oilers in Low-Scoring Battle - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Battle Back, But Fort Wayne Prevails - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Recap: Wings and Walleye Combine for Wild Finish on Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Brampton's Third Period Comeback Falls Short in Greenville - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Suffer First Regulation Road Loss in Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Harrison Nets Pair against Old Team as Admirals Fall in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Rookie Forward Steven Lorentz Reassigned to AHL Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 29 - ECHL
- Media Advisory New Year's Eve with the Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Admirals Search for Fourth Straight, Hosting IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Cleland Joins Royals Roster, Reassigned by AHL's Toron - Reading Royals
- Besse Signs PTO with Tucson - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Eagles Push Wichita to Brink of Elimination with 4-2 Win
- Specialty Teams Vaults Eagles to 5-2 Win over Thunder
- Beaudin's Shorthanded Goal in OT Gives Eagles 1-0 Series Lead
- Defenseman Nicolas Meloche Reassigned to Eagles
- Defenseman Nicolas Meloche Reassigned to Eagles