Game Report: Mavericks Edge Oilers in Low-Scoring Battle
TULSA, OK - Friday's game between the Tulsa Oilers and Kansas City Mavericks entered the third period scoreless, but the Mavericks edged the Oilers 3-1 at the BOK Center thanks to three third period goals.
Jared VanWormer broke the scoreless deadlock on a Mavericks power play 5:58 into the final stanza, after the two teams failed to score in the first two frames. Tulsa's Devin Williams and Kansas City's Mason McDonald each stopped 19 shots in the first 40 minutes.
The Oilers tied the score when Ryan Tesink deflected a Mike McKee shot past McDonald with 9:22 left in regulation, but Matt Robertson cleaned up a rebound to give the Mavericks a 2-1 lead after an offensive zone face-off win. Robertson ended up with the game-winning goal for the second straight game, as Bryce Aneloski added an empty net goal late to seal the 3-1 win for Kansas City.
Tulsa and Kansas City will face-off one more time Saturday on the York Plumbing Ice at the BOK Center at 7:05pm, before finishing the four-game series Sunday at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena at 7:05pm New Year's Eve. Catch all the action on The Sports Animal (99.9FM/1550AM) in Tulsa, www.tulsaoilers.com and ECHL.TV, with coverage starting at 6:45pm.
-- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, or "Like" us on Facebook for more information about your Tulsa Oilers.
Images from this story
Mavericks Edge Oilers in Low-Scoring Battle
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 31, 2017
- Big Crowd at DCU Center Watch Railers Drop 5-4 Decision to Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Toledo Takes a Close One, 5-4 - Wheeling Nailers
- Angeli Nets Hat Trick as IceMen Top Ads in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- Huntebrinker's Hat Trick Propels Royals to 5-3 Win - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Goz Joins Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Dzierkals Reassigned to Solar Bears by Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tony Turgeon Returns to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - December 30 - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, December 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: 2017 Wraps up with Matchup against IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Melancon Released from PTO, Returned to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, December 30 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Penguins Recall Wydo & Gardiner - Wheeling Nailers
- Marvel Super Hero Night Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- HOME GAME TONIGHT - Sat Dec 30 - Tulsa Oilers vs Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals' Senick Joins Local Special Olympics Board - Reading Royals
- Rush Fall to Eagles - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Edge Mallards in Shootout - Quad City Mallards
- Winquist Matches Solar Bears Record in 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Loses Second of the Week vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap --- Colorado Scores Three in the Third Period to Top Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Game Report: Mavericks Edge Oilers in Low-Scoring Battle - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Battle Back, But Fort Wayne Prevails - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Recap: Wings and Walleye Combine for Wild Finish on Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Brampton's Third Period Comeback Falls Short in Greenville - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Suffer First Regulation Road Loss in Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Harrison Nets Pair against Old Team as Admirals Fall in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Rookie Forward Steven Lorentz Reassigned to AHL Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 29 - ECHL
- Media Advisory New Year's Eve with the Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Admirals Search for Fourth Straight, Hosting IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Cleland Joins Royals Roster, Reassigned by AHL's Toron - Reading Royals
- Besse Signs PTO with Tucson - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.