Game Day: Admirals Search for Fourth Straight, Hosting IceMen
Norfolk, VA. - The Norfolk Admirals, proud member of the ECHL, wrap up the 2017 portion of the schedule with a pair of games at home against the Jacksonville Icemen. Norfolk looks to push its current win-streak to a season-high four games.
Admirals (11-17-1-0) vs Icemen (7-15-3-2)
Last Time Out:
Darik Angeli played hero against his former team as the Admirals topped the Solar Bears in a shootout claiming their third straight victory, and fourth in the last five games. Norfolk scored the first two goals of the night, but Orlando answered back with a pair of their own to tie the game at 2-2 midway through the second period. Saturday was the fifth time in the last six games that the Admirals power play had managed to find the back of the net. Ty Reichenbach, making his seventh consecutive start, made 45 saves and five more saves in the shootout. Darik Angeli, shooting in the fifth round of the shootout, was the only skater on either side to score, giving the Admirals the 3-2 victory.
Head to Head:
Friday night is the third meeting of the season between the Admirals and Icemen. Norfolk won each of the first two meetings nearly a month ago. The Admirals completed a five-goal comeback in the second game of the weekend to top the Icemen 7-6 in a shootout and complete the weekend sweep.
Darik Angeli leads all skaters in the series with five points (2g, 3a) while captain Brodie Dupont is second with four points (2g, 2a). Overall eight different Admirals found the back of the net against the Icemen in the two-game set. Jacksonville's Elgin Pearce leads all skaters in the series with three goals, but defenseman Scott Savage (2g, 2a) leads the Icemen against Norfolk with four points.
Both Jamie Murray and Ty Reichenbach appeared in the two game set, with Murray starting both nights. In the Saturday game, Reichenbach claimed the victory in relief. Jacksonville's Colton Phinney started both games, pushing the Admirals past regulation each night.
ECHL Goaltender of the Week:
Norfolk's Ty Reichenbach was named the ECHL Goaltender of the Week on Wednesday morning. Reichenbach, who started all three games, posted a 3-0-0-0 record along with a 1.63 goals against average, and a .961 save percentage in the three victories. On Thursday night Reichenbach turned aside all 45 shots he faced, on his way to the netminder's first professional shutout. Total over last weeks' three games Reichenbach stopped 124 of 129 shots he faced.
The Billings, MT native has appeared in 16 games for the Admirals this season posting a record of 7-8-0-0. Reichenbach has a 3.30 goals against average to go along with a .915 save percentage this season.
Reichenbach is the first Admirals netminder since Brandon Anderson (Jan. 9-15) won the award last season.
Prior to being recalled Grant Besse has shot back up the rookie scoring leaderboards after netting seven points (3g, 4a) in three games in Orlando. The Plymouth, MN native is currently second among all ECHL rookies in scoring with 27 points (13g, 14a). Besse currently leads all Admirals, and is one point ahead of captain Brodie Dupont. The forward is also the only Admiral to have scored double digit goals this season. Dupont and Darik Angeli have each scored nine goals.
High School Teammates Reunited (For a Short Time):
When the Admirals signed forward Christian Horn on Dec. 23 the newcomer was reunited with his former high school teammate Grant Besse. The Plymouth, MN natives were teammates at Benilde-St. Margaret's High School from 2009-2012. In their final season together the forwards helped the Red Knights play their way into the Minnesota State Tournament. Prior to Saturday's game in Orlando, the last time the two had played competitively on the same team was when they won the 2012 AA Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament.
On their first shift together as Admirals Besse assisted on Horn's first goal as an Admiral. It came on Horn first shot with the team.
Besse and Horn still rank one and two in career scoring for the Red Knights. The two forwards combined for 479 points during their high school careers.
Admirals to the AHL:
Grant Besse became the second Admiral to sign a PTO (Professional Tryout) with an AHL team this morning when he signed with the Tucson Road Runners. Besse, who leads the Admirals in points, joins TJ Melancon (Belleville) in the AHL.
A native of Plymouth, MN, Besse has tallied 27 points (13g, 14a) in 28 games with the Admirals this season. The forward will join the Roadrunners for the Roadrunners game tonight against Bakersfield.
FOR MORE INFO: Contact Admirals Media Manager Isaac Berky at 757-640-1212 ex. 15 (office),765-610-7777 (cell) or at email@example.com ####
-- Isaac Berky
Norfolk Admirals Hockey
201 E. Brambleton Ave.
Norfolk, VA 23510
Ph: (757) 640-1212 ext. 15
Fax: (757) 622-0552
Primary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 31, 2017
- Big Crowd at DCU Center Watch Railers Drop 5-4 Decision to Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Toledo Takes a Close One, 5-4 - Wheeling Nailers
- Angeli Nets Hat Trick as IceMen Top Ads in Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- Huntebrinker's Hat Trick Propels Royals to 5-3 Win - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Goz Joins Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Dzierkals Reassigned to Solar Bears by Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tony Turgeon Returns to Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Transactions - December 30 - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, December 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: 2017 Wraps up with Matchup against IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Melancon Released from PTO, Returned to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, December 30 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Penguins Recall Wydo & Gardiner - Wheeling Nailers
- Marvel Super Hero Night Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- HOME GAME TONIGHT - Sat Dec 30 - Tulsa Oilers vs Kansas City - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals' Senick Joins Local Special Olympics Board - Reading Royals
- Rush Fall to Eagles - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Edge Mallards in Shootout - Quad City Mallards
- Winquist Matches Solar Bears Record in 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Loses Second of the Week vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Game Recap --- Colorado Scores Three in the Third Period to Top Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Game Report: Mavericks Edge Oilers in Low-Scoring Battle - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Battle Back, But Fort Wayne Prevails - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Recap: Wings and Walleye Combine for Wild Finish on Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Brampton's Third Period Comeback Falls Short in Greenville - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Suffer First Regulation Road Loss in Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Harrison Nets Pair against Old Team as Admirals Fall in Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Rookie Forward Steven Lorentz Reassigned to AHL Charlotte - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - December 29 - ECHL
- Media Advisory New Year's Eve with the Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Admirals Search for Fourth Straight, Hosting IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Cleland Joins Royals Roster, Reassigned by AHL's Toron - Reading Royals
- Besse Signs PTO with Tucson - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.