Game Preview: Saginaw Spirit at Guelph Storm
The Storm host the Saginaw Spirit at 4:00pm on Saturday afternoon at the Sleeman Centre as the Storm organization host their 2nd annual 'First Responders Appreciation Night" as well as celebrating long time equipment manager Russ 'Rusty' Hammond's recent retirement after being with the Storm organization for all four of their OHL championships.
The Storm head into Saturday's game on a 7 game win streak after defeating the Owen Sound Attack on Friday night. Captain Cam Hillis and Russian sniper Pavel Gogolev have led the Storm offensively through 17 games this season with both players on track to set new career highs. Goaltender Nico Daws has been exceptional this season and is top 5 in most goalie categories with a 7-1-1-2 record.
The Guelph Storm have 2 players drafted to NHL teams that include captain Cam Hillis (MTL - 3rd Round) and Fedor Gordeev (TOR - 5th Round, traded to MIN).
Saginaw is coming into Guelph tied in 1st place in the Western Conference with 26 points this season. Saginaw is being led offensively by sophomore Cole Perfetti (7 goals, 26 assists), Cole Coskey (12 goals, 14 assists) and Damien Giroux *(14 goals, 10 assists).
Saginaw have 6 players drafted to an NHL club including Mason Millman (PHI - 4th Round), Blade Jenkins (NYI - 5th Round), Cole Coskey (NYI - 7th Round), Bode Wilde (NYI - 2nd Round), Reilly Webb (DET - 6thRound) and Damien Giroux (MIN - 5th Round).
HEAD TO HEAD
2019-20 Regular Season
SAG 0-0-0-0 GUE 0-0-0-0
2018-19 Regular Season
SAG 2-1-1-0 GUE 2-1-0-1
Last Five Years
SAG 7-6-2-1 GUE 9-6-0-1
Last Five Years At Saginaw Spirit
SAG 3-4-1-0 GUE 5-2-0-1
Last Five Years At Guelph Storm
SAG 4-2-1-1 GUE 4-4-0-0
Previous Meetings This Season
LAST 5 GAMES
Saginaw Spirit Guelph Storm
Season Record 12-6-1-1 10-4-1-2
Last 10 Games 7-2-0-1 8-1-0-1
Streak 3-0-0-0 7-0-0-0
Last Game 4-3 W vs Ottawa (2019-11-14) Final 4-3 W vs Owen Sound (2019-11-15) Final
Home Record 7-4-0-1 6-2-1-1
Away Record 5-2-1-0 4-2-0-1
Goals For 81 67
Goals Against 68 54
Power Plays 19/85 (22.35%) 15/62 (24.19%)
Power Plays - Home 11/56 (19.64%) 6/36 (16.67%)
Power Plays - Away 8/29 (27.59%) 9/26 (34.62%)
Penalty Killing 12/75 (16%) 12/61 (19.67%)
Penalty Killing - Home 7/45 (84.44%) 5/35 (85.71%)
Penalty Killing - Away 5/30 (83.33%) 7/26 (73.08%)
Leading Rookie Cardwell (5-4-9) Bakanov (5-5-10)
Most Penalty Minutes DJ King Josh Wainman
Team PIM/GM 10.4/20 9.3/17
Players to Watch
Pavel Gogolev has been exceptional this season for the Storm scoring 12 goals and 31 points through 17 games. Gogolev is averaging over 1.5 points per game this season and should easily pass his previous career highs in goals (30) and points (47.)
Cole Coskey was drafted by the New York Islanders in the 7th round of the 2019 NHL entry draft and is looking to score 30 goals for the 3rd consecutive season and eclipse 60 points for the second consecutive season.
Guelph will head to Kitchener on Tuesday November 19th to take on the Rangers at 7:00pm before they return home on Friday November 22nd to face the Sarnia Sting at the Sleeman Centre, with puck drop at 7:30pm.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Otters Score Walk off with Overtime Winner on Erie SeaWolves Night, Down Steelheads 5-4 - Erie Otters
- Firebirds Hard-Fought Battle Not Enough in Fast-Paced Game Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Greaves Shuts out the Petes 2-0 - Barrie Colts
- Petes Shut out for First Time this Season by Colts - Peterborough Petes
- Attack Can't Solve Dugas, Fall 3-1 to Frontenacs - Owen Sound Attack
- Steelheads Fall in Extra Time to Otters - Mississauga Steelheads
- Fronts Earn First Road Win of the Season in Owen Sound - Kingston Frontenacs
- Three-In-A-Row; Hounds Up-End Generals for Perfect Week - Soo Greyhounds
- Highlight Reel Goals Lead to IceDogs 3-2 Overtime Win over Spitfires - Niagara IceDogs
- Garreffa Nets Hat Trick in Barber Poles 4-2 Win over Flint - Ottawa 67's
- Guelph Snaps Spirit Winning Streak Saturday Night - Saginaw Spirit
- 2019-20 CHL Broadcast Schedule on Sportsnet Set - OHL
- Preview: Firebirds Host Ottawa on EMHA Night Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Preview: Spirit Put Winning Streak on the Line Saturday in Guelph - Saginaw Spirit
- Firebirds Halt Knights Win Streak - London Knights
- Firebirds Snap Knights' Winning-Streak with 6-1 Victory in London Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Game Preview: Saginaw Spirit at Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.