Firebirds Halt Knights Win Streak
Three second-period goals by the Flint Firebirds propelled them to a 6-1 win over the London Knights on Friday night at Budweiser Gardens.
The loss stopped the Knights' winning streak at five games and saw London lose in regulation for the first time since Oct. 19.
Flint limited the London chances through the first 40 minutes of the game. They also held the Knights power play silent all game.
The first two goals of the game actually came seconds after power plays had ended. The Knights had just killed off the second of two Flint chances on the man advantage in the first period when the Firebirds put the puck into the London net.
Arizona Coyotes prospect Dennis Busby turned and wristed a shot through a screen, right before turning to the bench for a line change and it found its way in for a 1-0 Flint lead.
Early in the second period, Flint killed off a London power play only to have Jonathan Gruden of the Knights snag a puck in behind the Firebirds net and feed it quickly to Connor McMichael. He extended his point streak to 10 games as he found Alec Regula crashing the net and the Blackhawks prospect scored his eighth of the season to tie the game 1-1.
Just over a minute later the Firebirds grabbed the lead back as Jack Phibbs scored to make it 2-1.
Ty Dellandrea batted in a rebound at the 8:07 mark of period two.
Jake Durham found a tiny space inside the post on Dylan Myskiw and scored his 10th goal of the season to give the Firebirds a three-goal lead.
Brett Brochu entered the game at that point for the Knights and stopped 15 of the 16 shots that he faced.
In the third period, Flint's leading scorer, Evgeniy Oksentyuk, cashed in twice to complete the scoring. He scored his second goal into an empty net.
The Knights will look to regroup on Sunday as the Kitchener Rangers arrive at Budweiser Gardens for a 2 p.m. start.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Otters Score Walk off with Overtime Winner on Erie SeaWolves Night, Down Steelheads 5-4 - Erie Otters
- Firebirds Hard-Fought Battle Not Enough in Fast-Paced Game Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Greaves Shuts out the Petes 2-0 - Barrie Colts
- Petes Shut out for First Time this Season by Colts - Peterborough Petes
- Attack Can't Solve Dugas, Fall 3-1 to Frontenacs - Owen Sound Attack
- Steelheads Fall in Extra Time to Otters - Mississauga Steelheads
- Fronts Earn First Road Win of the Season in Owen Sound - Kingston Frontenacs
- Three-In-A-Row; Hounds Up-End Generals for Perfect Week - Soo Greyhounds
- Highlight Reel Goals Lead to IceDogs 3-2 Overtime Win over Spitfires - Niagara IceDogs
- Garreffa Nets Hat Trick in Barber Poles 4-2 Win over Flint - Ottawa 67's
- Guelph Snaps Spirit Winning Streak Saturday Night - Saginaw Spirit
- 2019-20 CHL Broadcast Schedule on Sportsnet Set - OHL
- Preview: Firebirds Host Ottawa on EMHA Night Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Preview: Spirit Put Winning Streak on the Line Saturday in Guelph - Saginaw Spirit
- Firebirds Halt Knights Win Streak - London Knights
- Firebirds Snap Knights' Winning-Streak with 6-1 Victory in London Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Game Preview: Saginaw Spirit at Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.