NFL, MLB, CFL stats

Attack Can't Solve Dugas, Fall 3-1 to Frontenacs

November 16, 2019 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) - Owen Sound Attack News Release

It was Special Olympics Ontario night at the Bayshore, and two teams who found themselves on the wrong end of an extra time loss faced off in the J.D. McArthur Arena. Owen Sound tied their game against Guelph with 30 seconds remaining before falling in 3 on 3 action, while the Kingston Frontenacs took the Kitchener Rangers all the way to a shootout before succumbing. Both teams made a goalie change compared to the night prior, with Nick Chenard starting for Al Letang's Attack while Ryan Dugas got the nod for Kurtis Foster's Frontenacs.

Owen Sound was hoping to snap a miniature two game losing streak as they dropped the puck on period 1. The start was not what the team wanted when 15-year-old phenom Shane Wright opened the scoring four minutes into the game with a deflection in front of the Attack goal. Continuing their comeback form of late, the Attack responded with a power play marker three and a half minutes later to even things up at 1. It was a strange bounce when Kirwin tried to pass it, deflected it off a Kingston stick and into the air above and past Dugas for the equalizer. Owen Sound continued to apply pressure in the period and ended the frame up in shots 18-8 but tied on the scoreboard 1-1.

The second period began with a fresh sheet of ice and a fresh opportunity for the Attack to take their first lead of the night. Owen Sound peppered the Kingston net with shots all period long, twelve times in total but they couldn't beat the Frontenac's goaltender. Kaleb Lawrence had the best chance of the period after extended time in the Kingston zone, but he hit it just wide of the open net. Kingston made the Attack pay late in the period on a powerplay when Lucas Peric beat Nick Chenard for his 2nd of the year and a 2-1 lead. Owen Sound would be heading to the final frame down 1 and needing a comeback to secure the two points. Shots after 2 were 30-21 in favour of Owen Sound.

Penalties were the theme of the opening 10 minutes of the final period. Four minors were called almost consecutively, giving the teams very little time playing five on five. Unfortunately for Owen Sound, it was Kingston that was able to convert on their special teams, extending the lead to 3-1. Former Owen Sound blueliner Nick King scored on a shot from the point to double the Frontenacs advantage. The Attack continued their salvo of shots towards the Kingston net, totalling 40 with 3 minutes to play, but nothing was getting by Dugas. Owen Sound pulled the goalie in an attempt to get back into the game, but they couldn't find the comeback in their third game in three nights and would fall to the Frontenacs 3-1.

The Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player was Kaleb Pearson. The Owen Sound Bug Juice North Stars Three Stars were Jakob Brahaney (2 assists), Barret Kirwin (1 goal), and Ryan Dugas (41 saves).

The Owen Sound Attack won't return to the Bayshore until November 30th for a game against the Saginaw Spirit. Next weekend the Attack take their annual trip through Michigan for games against the Flint Firebirds, Saginaw Spirit and Windsor Spitfires.

Tickets for the game on the 30th are available at the MacVicar & McComb Sutton Realty Attack Box Office and online.

• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...

Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Owen Sound Attack Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew
OurSports Central