Garreffa Nets Hat Trick in Barber Poles 4-2 Win over Flint
FLINT - Following a heartbreaking 4-3 loss to the hands of the Saginaw Spirit on Thursday, in what was the opening game of a three game road trip, the Ottawa 67's bounced back in a nice way with a 4-2 win over a hot Flint Firebirds team. Joseph Garreffa led the charge with a hat trick and an assist, with the other goal coming from Kevin Bahl.
The two teams seemed to be headed to a scoreless first period until 67's overage forward Joseph Garreffa came in with speed late in the period and beat Anthony Popovich with a precise shot up high to give Ottawa a 1-0 lead with only thirteen seconds remaining on the clock. Both sides traded good chances throughout the opening twenty minutes, with Flint slightly out-shooting Ottawa 15-12.
After a late goal from Ottawa in the first, the toe to toe battle between the two sides continued in the second period of play, with plenty of chances going both ways. 67's goaltender Cedrick Andree notably made a few key saves during the period, but was beat once during four on four action by Firebirds forward Evgeniy Oksentyuk, leveling thins up at 8:14, almost halfway through the game. The score would remain the same until the end of the period, making things interesting going into the third period with a tie score of 1-1 forcing an eventual tiebreaker.
That tie-breaking goal came from the stick of giant-sized defenseman Kevin Bahl, who broke in and beat everybody, including the goaltender to give Ottawa the lead 4:16 into the final period, followed by Garreffa's second of the game only 2:40 later for a two goal edge in favour of the visitors. Vladislav Kolyachonok would narrow it down to one with just a bit over five minutes remaining in the game, but "Joey G" would score his third goal of the game, the insurance marker, in an empty net.
Ottawa will close out their road trip on Sunday afternoon in Sarnia, before they host their School Day Game on Thursday, November 21st at 10:30 AM against the Sudbury Wolves.
With a hat trick on Saturday night, Joseph Garreffa now counts ten goals in as many games played for the 67's, totaling 17 points since joining the team last month.
Garreffa now has nine points in his last five games and is on an active three game point streak (seven points in last three games).
Cedrick Andree was stellar and made a number of key saves, stopping 37 shots in his ninth win of the season.
Ottawa's offense was able to put up four goals in this one, despite not benefiting any power plays throughout the game.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Otters Score Walk off with Overtime Winner on Erie SeaWolves Night, Down Steelheads 5-4 - Erie Otters
- Firebirds Hard-Fought Battle Not Enough in Fast-Paced Game Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Greaves Shuts out the Petes 2-0 - Barrie Colts
- Petes Shut out for First Time this Season by Colts - Peterborough Petes
- Attack Can't Solve Dugas, Fall 3-1 to Frontenacs - Owen Sound Attack
- Steelheads Fall in Extra Time to Otters - Mississauga Steelheads
- Fronts Earn First Road Win of the Season in Owen Sound - Kingston Frontenacs
- Three-In-A-Row; Hounds Up-End Generals for Perfect Week - Soo Greyhounds
- Highlight Reel Goals Lead to IceDogs 3-2 Overtime Win over Spitfires - Niagara IceDogs
- Garreffa Nets Hat Trick in Barber Poles 4-2 Win over Flint - Ottawa 67's
- Guelph Snaps Spirit Winning Streak Saturday Night - Saginaw Spirit
- 2019-20 CHL Broadcast Schedule on Sportsnet Set - OHL
- Preview: Firebirds Host Ottawa on EMHA Night Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Preview: Spirit Put Winning Streak on the Line Saturday in Guelph - Saginaw Spirit
- Firebirds Halt Knights Win Streak - London Knights
- Firebirds Snap Knights' Winning-Streak with 6-1 Victory in London Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Game Preview: Saginaw Spirit at Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa 67's Stories
- 67's Marco Rossi Named OHL's Player of the Week
- 67's Kevin Bahl Invited to Team Canda's National Junior Team Selection Camp
- Ottawa Completes Perfect Weekend Witha 6-1 Win over Battalion
- Late Goal from Jack Quinn Gives Ottawa 4-3 Win over Generals
- 67's Offense Explodes for 11 Goals in Road Win over Kingston